iMa wEiRdO: okay seriously, why do we pick our scabs??

What’s up weirdos?

I know, I know, it’s been way too long. I’ve been such a bad blogger lately and have abandoned you guys for the last few weeks.

However…

Last week I had the best experience in the world at Operation Breakthrough (a day care/preschool for underprivileged children). There were definitely some good things about Op Break..

One thing, making new friends and playing all day in Yellow 2.

Another, encountering something weird.

One morning I saw Je’Onna picking at something on her arm during circle time. She had an irritated look on her face for awhile and then finally pulled something off it.

I’ll never forget the look of success on her face. And then I realized what she had been picking at instead of writing “Today is Thursday” in her spirial…Yes, a scab on her little 4-year-old arm.

That got me thinking…

I’m almost seventeen years old and I still pick at scabs on my face, or peel off dry skin on my arms after a bad sunburn.

And then I realized something.

Everyone still picks their scabs. It’s a compulsive issue that’s impossible to resist.

Yes, that’s a scab.

And no, I don’t care that you think scab picking is disgusting/repulsive/improper, because I know you do it from time to time.

But it’s okay.. we all do it, so I’m convinced that that makes it okay.

But why do we do it?

According to SkinPick.com, picking scabs is a remarkably self-perpetuating way to act out obsessive-compulsive tendencies that often signal an underlying, often as-yet-undiagnosed mood or anxiety disorder. Patients often describe the experience as comforting even though painful. And very unsightly.

There seems to be a great deal of shame associated with this obsessive-compulsive skin picking behavior, even moreso than in other types of skin picking. Many people who suffer with this compulsion know they are doing something that is considered undesirable, even disgusting (to others), but they find it almost impossible to stop nevertheless.

Here’s what I say:

As if.

We pick our scabs because we’re bored, or we don’t like the way they look on our body parts. And quite frankly, we shouldn’t care what others think, because they pick their scabs all the time. Anyone who acts like they’re better than scabs should be made fun of..all the time. What hypocrites.

My opinion: Picking our scabs from time to time won’t hurt anything. We’re basically peeling off a piece of skin and throwing it on the ground..

Let’s just say I would rather have a pink, sore piece of skin on my knee rather than a brown, crusty layer formed on top. As soon as I can slip my nail under the frayed edge of hardened blood, the exercise begins; the only thing I want to do when one of those little rascals forms is peel it off and flick it away. And I know you would do the same if you had a large scar on your body.

However…

Eating your scabs?

Okay, people, that is where I draw the line.

Seriously, that is so wrong on so many different levels.

PLEASE

Peel it off and either:

a) fold it up in a Kleenex

b) throw it in the trash

c) flick it on the floor and walk away

And, side note: Don’t overdue it. One scab a month, or else. Dermatologists actually know what they’re talking about, unlike me, and overpicking your scabs will lead to excessive, gross scarring.

Just remember:

Pick one scab and leave the others alone.

Make the one your friend.

l8r.

wEirDo