Counselor Debi Hudson elected to college directors’ board

Counselor Debi Hudson elected to college directors board
by Emma Willibey

STA college counselor Debi Hudson was elected to the National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC) board of directors at the organization’s Denver conference Oct. 6. An NACAC member since 1993, Hudson began her second directorial term alongside five other applicants that a 200-plus delegates assembly voted to the board.

“[I] sat on the board a few years ago,” Hudson said. “It was a great experience last time I did it.”

Hudson said that the next three years as a director entail overseeing the NACAC’s budget and working with the association’s governance and staff on professional development and legislative affairs. According to Hudson, the position requires membership with one of the NACAC’s chartered affiliates and attendance to five annual meetings, one yearly national conference and monthly conference calls.

“When we get together at a conference, we pass a series of amendments to assist students in the [college] transition,” Hudson said of the NACAC.

According to Hudson, NACAC directors specialize in the college transition, as three high school counselors and twelve college admissions staff comprise the board. Hudson said that NACAC conferences, which attract college representatives and high school counselors from each region, allow counselors like herself to form connections with nationwide institutions. According to Hudson, NACAC conferences enabled her to contact many of the 100 representatives that visited STA last fall.

“A lot [of NACAC conferences] deals with all of the reps who come to STA,” Hudson said. “[It] does have a lot of benefits to know these people really well.”

Aside from gaining college admissions contacts, Hudson said that she is eager to participate in NACAC directors’ work on Capitol Hill. According to Hudson, the NACAC’s legislative staff prepares information for the directors to reference while discussing Pell grants, loans and work study programs in Washington, D.C.

“From a national standpoint, [I look forward] to be able to influence things on Capitol Hill and give the voice of a high school side,” Hudson said.

However, Hudson said that the NACAC’s audience is no longer restricted to US high school seniors. Adapting to recent circumstances, the organization aids adult learners, military pupils and students entering US colleges from abroad.

“It’s neat to be able to assist a group that works with students in that [college] transition process and provides everything from professional development [to] governance,” Hudson said.

Similarly, Hudson said that gathering fellow NACAC directors’ insight allows her outlook on the college transition to expand.

“When you’re the only person who does what you do at a school, you have to bounce ideas off others,” Hudson said. “[The NACAC directors are] a phenomenal group.”