Former athletic director dies, leaves legacy

by Lindsey Valdiviez
photo courtesy of STA’s Facebook page

Former STA athletic director, Pauline Reardon, passed away Dec. 12. According to her obituary in the Kansas City Star, Reardon was 101 years old and served the STA community for 45 years as a physical education teacher.

According to previous Physical Education teacher Ann Bode Rodriguez, Reardon retired from STA in the early 80s. At that point in time she had been a coach, a physical education teacher and the athletic director. In addition, Reardon began intramural games and the first Athletic Club at STA. Bode Rodriguez credits the size of the athletic program at STA to Reardon’s work.

“When she was at STA the four sports we had were tennis, volleyball, basketball and track and field,” Bode Rodriguez said. “The athletic program has really really grown thanks to Pauline Reardon. She encouraged girls and all of our students to become active in athletics and pushed for different programs.”

Alumna Mary Cosgrove, class of 1971, remembers Reardon as an advocate for girls athletics prior to the passing of Title IX, which eliminated gender based discrimination in education, sports, and other activities.

“[Reardon] was the head of the pack and she encouraged people to think differently about sports and being active,” Cosgrove said. “I think she was way ahead of her time.”

Cosgrove said that Reardon encouraged girls to play sports even when it was not considered lady-like.

“I think we need to celebrate that she was pushing us to be more than what was expected of women back then,” Cosgrove said. “I got to see that women could play sports and be active.”

Bode Rodriguez agrees that Reardon was a proponent for girls athletics and has left a legacy for future physical education teachers.

“She is somebody that I greatly admired,” Bode Rodriguez said. “I think that athletics at STA has come a long way and we have Pauline Reardon to thank for the athletic program at our school.”