Science quizbowl team places second in competition

by Katie Parkinson

The STA science quizbowl team placed second overall at the Science and Mathematics Challenge for Young Women at Avila University Nov. 3. They finished first in the chemistry event, second in biology and math and third in physics. They did not place in the top three in the earth science and technology categories.

“Ms. Montag said we did better than last year,” junior Beth Mitchell said. “[Junior] Natalie Nuessle definitely screamed [when she found out we won].”

The competition, which was held from 8:30 a.m. to noon, included participants from Blue Valley High School, Liberty High School, Sherwood High School, St. Paul Lutheran, Oak Park High School, Liberty North High School, Grandview High School, Park Hill South High School and Notre Dame de Sion High School.

Seniors Elaine Schmidt, Mackenzie Warrens and Erin Sheehy, juniors Natalie Nuessle, Shelby Hawkins, Beth Mitchell and Emily Cosgrove and sophomore Zoe Royer represented the science quizbowl team in the competition.

“I just liked being with the science quizbowl team because they’re just hilarious and entertaining,” Mitchell said about her fellow participants.

The team won a plaque for their placement in the competition.

“To quote a person from Avila [University] who was walking by, the quizbowl was on fire,” science quizbowl adviser Mary Montag said. “St. Teresa’s team was on fire.”