Senior’s foreign essay published in Rockhurst University magazine

by Mickey Redlingshafer

This past summer, senior Emma Rebein took a trip to Guatemala. She wrote an essay about her experience in Guatemala and it was published in a Rockhurst University publication called the LENGUAS.

Emma Rebein

According to Rebein, she worked in Guatemala as a sort of mission trip, but the experience helped her Spanish too.

“I worked with blind and deaf students in rural Guatemala and went on lots of cultural excursions to ruins, markets and natural landmarks,” Rebein said. “I spoke only Spanish and so my language improved drastically.”

According to Rebein, Spanish teacher Julia Gargallo told her about the chance to get a Spanish essay published in a Rockhurst University magazine.

“When Senora Gargallo heard about my trip, she told me about an opportunity to write an essay about it that could get published in the [Rockhurst University] magazine LENGUAS,” Rebein said. “I read an example and thought it we be a cool thing to do so I did, and they liked it a lot so they asked if I would mind if they published it.”

According to Rebein, the LENGUAS is a magazine that “showcases diversity and students experiences with different cultures and languages.”

According to Rebein, she is happy her essay was published.

“I’m super excited it got published,” Rebein said. “I’m very excited that they were interested because I got so much out of the trip and I hope people will learn a little about it from reading my article. My parents are excited as well. I’ve always wanted to be on a publication and so it will be really nice to see my work in print and hopefully people will enjoy reading it.”