St. Teresa’s Academy basketball, dance team, swimming seasons end

Basketball

The varsity basketball team lost their district semifinal game last Wednesday, ending their season. Raytown High School defeated the stars 56-55 by scoring a three-point shot in the last 10 seconds of overtime.

“We were all so sad [when we lost at districts],” varsity player, senior Kelsie Fiss said. “It didn’t go our way that day. It was just frustrating that it was so close.”

According to coach Doug Nelson, the team’s record was 10-16 and won five of their last seven games. The end of the season was when the team started playing well, according to Fiss.

“I think we really started to click and play well as a team [during the post season],” Fiss said. “We started to understand and execute what [Coach Doug Nelson] wanted us to do.”

According to Fiss, the beginning of the season was not nearly as successful.

“[The beginning of the season] was disappointing,” Fiss said. “There were a lot of games that we could have won that didn’t go our way.”

Overall, Fiss believed that season was progressively successful.

“The team has gone through so much improvement,” Fiss said. “That is why it is so sad that it ended because it would have been fun to see us keep improving.”

Dance Team

The dance team was rewarded second place at the State competition on Feb 27. According to captain, senior Rebecca Oyler, the team was happy with the third place hip-hop and second place jazz finishes but felt pessimistic at their overall chances at placing.

“We weren’t sure [if we would place once we found out the results of our performances],” Oyler said. “But we were definitely disheartened.”

According to Oyler, when it was announced that STA received second place, the team was hysterical.

“When we knew we got second, we all started hugging each other and crying,” Oyler said. “It was so exciting.”

The dance team’s successful state competition reflected their season. The team competed in three other competitions and placed in the top three at all of them.

“Oh yeah [it was a great way to end the season],” Oyler said. “We had been building up to this all year.”

Swim Team

The swim team finished 28th out of the 58 schools that competed at the State meet on Feb. 20. According to freshman Rosie Hutchison, the outcome was especially exciting because STA had never placed at State.

“It was definitely [a good way to end the season],” Hutchison said. “It was like beyond anyone’s expectations. STA has never really had a very good swim team, it’s not like soccer or volleyball.”

Not only was it the first time an STA team placed, but it was the first time that anyone advanced to the second day, which is when the final races occur. Hutchison was the only indivudual to advance but both of STA’s relay teams also advanced. Hutchison placed individually, receiving 12th in the 100 meter Butterfly.

Hutchison contributes some of the success at State to all of the swim team members that weren’t swimming but traveled to St. Peter’s Rec-Plex in St. Peter’s, Missouri to support the team.

“Yeah, the best part [of State was everyone who came to support us],” Hutchison said. “So many people got to come and they were all cheering us on and congratulating us. It was so fun to get to share the experience with them.”