STAR Cups planning changes to menu, hours

Caroline Fiss
The STAR Cups cafe is planning several changes to their menu and hours.
by Leigh Campbell

STAR Cups‘ first few weeks on campus have “gotten off to a good start,” according to STA Parent Leadership Chair of Star Cups Karen Miller. However, volunteers are planning to make several changes to the original plan.

“I liked [STAR Cups],” freshman Sophia Prochnow said. “I think it’s really convenient because I almost never have time to eat breakfast in the morning.”

According to Miller, every week STAR Cups make a few small adjustments to the menu based on how much food and coffee seems best to make.

“We are thinking we will perhaps add some fall flavors in the next few weeks, such as apple cider or pumpkin spice,” Miller said. “We also hope to have some gift items like mugs available for the holidays.”

The cafe hours also have been extended to 8 a.m. to allow parents who are dropping off their daughters to come in, as well as students who have a period one free, Miller said.

“The very first Friday, we had a neighbor come in. She was on walk, and she bought a cup of coffee,” STA president Nan Bone. “We have had some parents, but mostly it has been students.”

There is also now an online sign up for volunteers which can be accessed from the home page of the STA website. Volunteers bring fresh baked items or bagels and work in the cafe, according to Miller.

STAR Cups might decide to extend their days to both Fridays and Thursdays to coincide with the Fine Arts Booster Thursday donut sale. Parents have also suggested an after school snack program, according to Bone.

“We are taking it slow,” Bone said. “We are going to continue Friday mornings and see how it goes.”

Check out a gallery of the grand opening of STAR Cups here.