Not a DIYing art

Anna Leach
story by Jordan Berardi, photos by Anna Leach

DIY, or Do-It-Yourself projects have become increasingly popular within the past year. Pinterest, a website where users can pin pictures of things they find interesting onto a virtual pinboard, has had an influence on the re-emergence of DIY projects. With a simple “DIY” search in the rectangular search bar, thousands of pins show, and the DIY process is started. Each DIY project is the result of a process. Depending on the project, it can be long, complicated and strenuous, or it can be short, simple and relaxing. Whether it consists of licking the tip of the dried out marker you need to fill in that last bit of white space or deciding the water you are using to clean your watercolor brush is too murky, there is always some problem to fix. But when it is all over, the finished product is well worth it.

Step 1: Find inspiration

Whether it is Pinterest, a magazine or a bare wall, inspiration is the first step to a successful DIY project. Pinterest has thousands of boards specifically dedicated to these self-conducted projects. If one day you decide bare wall is dull and demands more attention, search “bedroom DIY” and you are guaranteed to find something to suit your wall. Even if you are not searching for a specific idea, you are sure to find something to develop.

“I started DIY-ing recently because I saw all these ideas online and I couldn’t resist trying them,” junior Fiona Madden said. “I get lots of ideas from Pinterest and magazines.”

Though most get ideas from pinning on Pinterest or searching DIY on Google, junior Bailey Whitehead is not one to use the internet as a resource.

“I don’t really like to [search for things on the internet],” Whitehead said. “It’s usually for a purpose.”

Step 2: Pick your project

After finding incentive to start a project, choosing the right project to tackle is the most important step. Let the project be something you will commit to and will have a reason to finish. Make sure it is something that can be put to good use. But most of all, it has to be something that you genuinely will have fun creating.

An idea for a DIY project not only has to come from an internet source, it can also be an image seen in your head. When an aspect of your room or house needs something more and attempting to find the perfect thing in stores is impossible, a project can be the solution.

Practicing this idea, Mara Herrington likes to develop ideas of things she has in her head, which she cannot find in stores.

When planning on altering a concrete object, like shoes or clothes, deciding how to approach it can be difficult. However, it can also be a basis for complete creative freedom.

“With shoes, it’s hard to take it too far,” Whitehead said. “There are boundaries within each seam.”

Step 3: Gather your materials

After picking a project that is backed with inspiration, there will most likely be a “How-To” guide preceding the picture of the intended outcome. Consider this your “Project Blueprint.” Along with the guide, there should be a list of materials needed to achieve a successful end result. If you are without some items on the list, stores like Hobby Lobby, Michael’s and Target are useful in finding materials for a wide variety of projects.

Though a majority of projects found online will require at least one thing not everyone has at home, some believe the entire DIY concept is not going out to buy something to contribute to a project.

“I don’t spend money to make something better,” Whitehead said. “I use my resources.”

Recently gaining popularity, however, is the use of recyclable materials. Whether it is a plastic bottle or an entire cabinet, everything can go to use in a creative way.

“I like industrial looking materials,” Herrington said. “I try to recycle things. I go to thrift stores or tear down furniture we already have.”

Similar to Herrington, Whitehead also uses thrift stores as a place to get used clothes she can alter through cutting, drawing on them, or using them to create something completely different.

Step 4: Get down to business

The next step is probably the longest of them all and is the most thought-intensive step in the entire DIY process. Some projects require careful attention to detail, while others let the do-er have free reign. Make sure one last time you have all your materials ready before you start your project. Relieve yourself and your setting from distractions, find a way to focus and focus on one step at a time.

While in the process of creating something you can say you made yourself, allow your mind to slow down and really focus on what your hands are doing.

“Most of all I like the process,” junior Mimi Hart said. “It’s relaxing to just sit in my room and make something.”

Though Hart finds relaxation in her process, Madden only works on projects when she has time to spare, which is not as often as she would like. However, Herrington uses DIY as a way to keep herself busy.

“It’s a contrast to my day job of sitting behind a desk,” Herrington said.

[nggallery id= 315]

Step 5: Revel in the beauty of your creation

Now that the previous steps are completed, the fifth step just comes naturally. You can successfully sit back, criss-cross-applesauce on the floor of your bedroom and admire your new wall art, jean shorts or shoes. Do not sit back and be shy about your new creation — brag about it.

“When you make something yourself, you feel accomplished, and when someone asks where you got it you can say ‘I made it myself’,” Hart said.

Each project you undertake should create a sense of pride when it is complete. Regardless if you are “artsy” or not, everyone can do a DIY project and be successful and proud.

“I’m most proud of my sparkly wall art decorations because the idea just came to me and it actually worked,” Madden said. “Which, if we’re being real right now, is a rare occasion.”

Most of all, do not sit back and admire alone. You deserve the praise. Skipping one step in a process cannot possibly result in the best possible outcome. After all, weren’t we always taught to put forth our greatest effort?