STA to introduce Google Fiber to netbooks

by Hannah Bredar

Kansas City, Kansas is the first city in the United States to receive Google Fiber, but Kansas City, Missouri is next. STA is located in one of the first neighborhoods, or “fiberhoods” as Google refers to them, in the country to be using it. Fiberhoods that have a certain amount of registrants to Google Fiber will receive the internet provider faster. STA is located in the Countryside Homes Association and because the people that live in this neighborhood have submitted enough applications STA will receive Google Fiber for free. The first five “fiberhoods” in Kansas City that will receive Google Fiber are Crown Center, Midtown, Sunset Hill, South Plaza West and Countryside respectively.

Mr. Jeff Zimmerman

STA will soon be receiving Google Fiber on campus which means faster internet for all netbooks and better quality. Google Fiber is another internet provider along with Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome that will be available to anyone on STA campus using the internet. According to Mr. Jeff Zimmerman, the goal is to have Google Fiber by spring of 2013.

Students and teachers at STA like Zimmerman and sophomore Gloria Cowdin say they are excited to be using the new provider and are hoping that it will improve internet speed.

“It will be cool [having Google Fiber] because everything will be so much faster,” Cowdin said. “And we won’t have to wait as long for the internet to load.”

Google Fiber is 100 times faster than the internet that is used today and it will improve internet speed on all computers connected to the STA WIFI network according to Mr. Jeff Zimmerman.

“Ultimately, we will have faster internet [with Google Fiber],” Zimmerman said.

President Nan Bone is very excited about receiving Google Fiber and believes that it will enhance all of the internet at STA.

“Once we get it everything will be faster and quicker,” Bone said. “It’s going to be awesome.”