STA recognizes emotional wellness month

by Maddie Knopke

Oct. 1 marked the beginning of 31 days dedicated to achieving emotional wellness. This month provides everyone with a chance to focus on stress management and become more aware of our feelings. It is a time to make positive changes to our everyday that will enable us to achieve emotional peace.

At STA there will be a few special activities this month to focus on emotional wellness, including an all-school assembly. Personal counselor Amanda Johnson will also be leading a group dedicated to discussing personal values, issues, relationships and more, “Dish and Dessert.”

According to Johnson, emotional wellness is “a combination of physical, mental, and emotional strength that takes constant effort to maintain.”

Johnson believes that emotional wellness is a constant presence at STA because of our “emotional wellness forum.” This forum encompasses all efforts in the STA community to provide guidance to students for achieving emotional wellness.

“The wellness forum is actually a part of a grant we applied for that provides the Guidance Department funding to bring in speakers and different events to the STA community,” Johnson said.

Johnson explains that anytime we have a speaker or event concerning any aspect of emotional wellness students are essentially accessing the emotional wellness forum. This month, the forum will be providing an all-school assembly presentation dealing with eating disorders and mental health which will be held on Oct. 9.

“We try to inform and educate the STA community on emotional wellness through assemblies like this one and the anti-bullying presentation we had last year,” Johnson said.

One of the most important ways to achieve emotional wellness, according to Johnson, is to create positive connections. She suggests STA students “engage in relationships that give you back as much as you are putting forth.”

Additionally, because we are nearing mid-semester, Johnson explains doing what you need to do is important, but taking time to be you is a priority.

“One day, you aren’t anyone but you. You don’t have to be an STA student. You don’t have to be a star volleyball player. You don’t have to do anything but just be you,” Johnson encourages.