Social Justice Club forms

by Grace Sly

Students at St. Teresa’s Academy have formed a Social Justice Club.

The club will focus on issues affecting women around the world and will work on supporting the rights of women in both the community and globally.

“I knew we could do stuff around the world that would help with women’s justice rights,” club founder and sophomore Jessica Culver said. “[Some of our goals are] to [help] women worldwide and to make the public aware of the issues women face that we do not have in our everyday life.”

Social Justice Club will meet every Friday during lunch and activity due to the fact some of its members belong to other clubs that they will meet with on regular club days.

“Meeting on multiple Fridays each month will help everyone be a part of the activities,” sophomore Ellen Weitkamp said. “The more often we meet, the more we can get done.”

The idea for the new group came to Culver and Weitkamp while taking the summer speech course with former speech teacher Tyler Stewart and literature teacher Diane Hirner.

“We read a book called ‘Little Bee’ where the main character was a woman facing injustice,” Culver said. “[I realized] it happens every day in women’s lives. It made me research other women.”

With the departure of Stewart, the club is now moderated by Hirner and math teacher Dina Swadell.

“It will be hard at first but Ms. Swadell is very dedicated and can take the role as Ms. Stewart,” Culver said.