STA to host new fundraiser

STA+to+host+new+fundraiser+
by Mickey Redlingshafer

Trash and Treasure, STA ’s biggest fundraiser has been replaced this year. The new fundraiser is called Stars Walk-of-Fame, and will take place April 12 on the Coppinger Family Track, in the McDonnell Family Sports Complex.

According to STA Parents Association committee member Julie Zanone, Stars Walk-of-Fame, STA’ s newest fundraiser, will take place during the school day on a Monday.

“This exciting new event will take place during the school day,” Zanone said. “It is centered around student participation, with the students walking around the track in class groups while enjoying music and a lively atmosphere.”

According to STA Parents Association committee chairman Michelle Meurer, TNT was a longstanding, effective fundraiser, but it was replaced with Stars Walk-of-Fame to put more emphasis on student participation.

“TNT was a very successful fundraiser at St. Teresa’s for many years,” said Meurer. “We decided to do a different fundraiser that involved the students and focuses on health and wellness.”

According to Zanone, this walk-a-thon will raise money through STA students and the STA Parents Association committee members.

“Students will collect pledges and the STA Parents Association committee [will] reach out to local business partners for corporate underwriting.”

According to Meurer, the STA Parents Association hopes to raise as much money as TNT has in the past.

“We hope to have as much success with the Stars Walk-of-Fame fundraising event as we had with TNT,” Meurer said. “TNT helped support many events that were sponsored by the STA Parents Association throughout the school year. Some of the events include the Father-Daughter Dinner Dance, the Mother-Daughter Luncheon and fashion show, the Grandmothers’ Tea and many others. The fundraiser will also help fun Bistro Kids, our healthy new lunch program.”

According to both Zanone and Meurer, they are excited for the fundraiser.

“Walk-a-thons are a good way to raise money while also involving the student body in a really fun activity,” Zanone said.