Literature teacher seeks KC school board position

by Lindsey Valdiviez

STA literature teacher Stephen Himes is running for the 2012-2014 term for the Kansas City Public Schools Board of Directors.  The Board members will be elected by the residents of the 2nd Subdistrict on Nov. 6.  If elected, Himes would take the recently vacated 2nd Subdistrict seat.  According to Himes, the Board of Directors’ duty is to oversee the administration and their operations within each school of the Kansas City, Missouri School District.

“The board doesn’t actually run the school, but they take a look at the big pictures like test scores and budget data to make sure that money is being spent correctly,” Himes said.  “They just make sure that the administrative team is running the schools right”

Himes attributes his desire to utilize his doctorate degree in educational leadership as one of the reasons for running.  Though Himes is still in the process of earning his doctorate, he says the entailments will prepare him to be on the board if elected.

“I’ve actually worked in a public school before, so I feel like I can bring a perspective to what [the board] is trying to understand and do,” Himes said.  “I felt like this was a way that I could use that training to give back to the [Kansas City, Mo.] community.”

Because of it’s un-accreditation, the Kansas City Public School District is another reason for Himes’ choice to be on the ballot.  Due to the failing school district, those that can afford external education are allowed to move their children to schools that meet accreditation standards.  According to Himes, helping these schools to meet the proper standards would not only benefit students, but also boost the Kansas City population.

“I love my city,” Himes said.  “We need to have a good public school system to keep the population growing.  A lot of people move to Kansas because they can’t afford to go to private schools and they feel that public schools are not a viable alternative.”

As far as change goes, Himes says he would hope to re-format the relationship between the board and school administration.

“I feel like the governing structure of the board could be changed to make the administration more directly accountable to the board,” Himes said.  “If we can create stability on the board for teachers and principals within the building, then they can teach students and create a learning environment at the schools.”

According to Himes, the Missouri State Legislature has discussed taking over the Kansas City Missouri School District and handing control to the Director of Elementary and Secondary Education.  Being a Kansas City, Mo. local, Himes feels he could provide a more knowledgeable voice to the board.

“I don’t trust the general assembly to make the right decisions for the Kansas City, Mo. schools,” Himes said.  “People who live locally who understand unique urban issues are better suited to make decisions than legislatures in Jefferson City, [Mo.] that aren’t from here.”

Himes schedule at STA would be unchanged if elected.  Without support from those within the STA community, Himes says he would not have the opportunity to run for the Kansas City Public Schools Board.

“I had to get 250 verified signatures from voters in the district in order to the get on the ballot,” Himes said. “So I did depend very heavily on the STA community to help me get all those signatures.”

Himes opponent for the chair, Mr. Gunnar Hand, has a goal of building strong partnerships within the Kansas City community and creating stability within the schools.

“Right now [the KC community] has a huge perception problem,” Hand said.  “If we get more people into the schools, they will see that the schools are in good shape and the administration is trying to make it work.  I believe that there is no reason that my daughter should not be able to go to KC public schools once she’s old enough.”

In the eyes of principal of academic affairs Barb McCormick, Himes’ decision upholds the motto of STA of “helping the dear neighbor.”

“Administration supports teachers that are making an effort to improve communities, which is what Mr. Himes is working towards in running for the Kansas City Public School Board of Directors,” McCormick said.  “I am proud of faculty members that truly are living the mission of the Sisters [of St. Joseph], which is to serve the dear neighbor. Mr. Himes would be doing that in this role if elected.”