Class meetings move to activity periods

by Hannah Bredar

The administration has decided to change the schedule for class meetings this year.

Instead of having regular 40 minute classes, class meeting days will consist of 38 minute classes. Students will eat their lunch in advisory and attend their meeting during both activity periods.

“We are trying this class meeting schedule to give teachers more instructional time in the classroom,” principal of student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker said.

The overall goal of the administration in this case is to keep the amount of time students spend in the classroom on class meetings days as close to the regular amount of time as possible.

“It is always a balance between extracurricular activities and school events, but I will always support increasing classroom time,” science teacher Mary Montag said.

Sophomore Gracie Fleming reflects on this change negatively, saying that without activity periods there is less free time in the day to work on homework and talk with friends.

“I feel like class meeting days are an extra day, to relax more,” Fleming said. “When [meetings] end up being our lunch and activity time, all the relaxation from it is gone,” Fleming said. “We don’t get a break.”

The new schedule for class meetings will begin on the first day for meetings, this Friday Sept. 14.