STA’s new teachers

by Madeline Best
photos by Menley Brennan

This year, STA welcomes five new teachers and staff members to the school community. Ranging from math to music, the Dart interviewed each teacher to let the school get to know them a little better.

Ms. Hamilton – Computer Graphics

What is your first impression of STA?

“Very good, everyone’s so nice. I’ve subbed in other public schools, and all you girls are so polite and kind.”

How long have you been teaching?

“This is my first year. I’ve subbed but as far as teaching my own class this is my first year.”

What made you want to teach computer graphics?

“I’m a graphic designer myself. Before this I worked for a magazine for 3 years and did design, illustration and layout. I still do that on the side and freelance, but I’ve always loved teaching so i figured I could also teach what I’m passionate about.”

What is your favorite aspect of graphic design?

“Definitely typography. I love type and lettering.”

Where are you originally from?

“I am originally from Harrisonville, Missouri. [I] lived there then lived in Columbia when I went to college at Mizzou. Then I moved to St. Louis and now I’m back here as of January. So I’ve only been back here for about 8 months.”

Fun fact?

“I have four sets of twins in my family. My best friend from college is a St. Teresa’s grad. I snowboard and ski.”

What are you most looking forward to this year?

“Just getting to know everyone. [With] some cool projects we’ll be doing, I’m excited to see what the girls come up with.”

Mr. Monsma – Music

What is your first impression of STA?

“It’s a welcoming place and the students seem to feel really comfortable at it. The teachers are very well respected. The atmosphere is about fun and learning, but it is obvious how academically challenging the course load is.”

Where are you originally from?

“Louisville, Kentucky.”

How long have you been teaching?

“This is my sixth year of teaching. I taught at Dakota Ridge in Littleton Colorado for 3 years and at the University of Kentucky for 2.”

Why did you decide to become a music teacher?

“I’ve always loved music. [I] felt really at home in choir class. It inspired me to do better, to give the same experience to kids to do better.”

How will you be involved in the school musical this year?

“Conducting the pit orchestra, conducting auditions, and rehearsing all vocal parts.”

Fun fact?

“I am one of four brothers. I have a dog named Derby, a silver lab and five months old now. I played soccer for 16 years and have skied backwards down a mountain.”

“Getting the most out of my choir and challenging them to do better everyday.”

Ms. Ryan – Math (Algebra I and Advanced Algebra I)

What is your first impression of STA?

“Very caring. Everyone wants to help everyone else whether its through students or faculty.”

Where are you originally from?

“[The] St. Louis area in the country called St. Charles, but I’m actually from O’Fallon.”

How long have you been teaching?

“I just finished student teaching in Springfield and I graduated in May, so this is my first job.”

Why did you decide to become a math teacher?

“I have tutored for the last 10 years and I have always really liked math.”

Fun fact?

“I’m getting married next summer. That’s why I moved. My fiance goes to KU.”

“I think getting to know all my students. I have never had a class for a whole year and it will be different than student teaching for half a year. I get to make an impression on the freshman.”

Mrs. Absher – Director of Service

What is your first impression of STA?

“I love it. I think the kids are super passionate and super energetic.”

Where are you originally from?

“Kansas City, up north. I went to St. Pius [X High School] and taught there later.”

Why did you decide to be a service director?

“I interviewed and loved STA and have a background of service at my old school. The more I did it, the more i realized how important it is in curriculum.”

Have you always been intrigued by service and helping others?

“Yes, I did my background in theater and always tried to integrate service in extra curriculars. I always loved the tradition and working with older people and kids. It’s fun seeing teenagers get the satisfaction.”

Fun fact?

“I have a baby named George. He’s 16 months. I used to be a theater teacher and last year I directed “Little Shop [of Horrors].” I used to teach English, theology, theater, dance and a class called pop culture.”

“I am looking forward to the individual service projects and working directly with agencies in a co-curriculum way. The little activities like going out and working with the community for the girls, that’s one of my main goals.”

Mrs. Fisher – Math (Advanced Algebra I, Geometry, Trig/Finite)

Where are you originally from?

“Gladstone, Missouri”

When did you first start teaching at STA?

“I started teaching in 1995 at St. Teresa’s until 1997. Then i stayed home with my kids for 7 years. I worked part time at St. Charles [Borromeo Catholic School] teaching middle school math for 8 years and 1 year full time and now I’m back here.”

What is it like having a daughter go to the same school you teach at?

“I taught [junior] Claire [Fisher] in middle school math at St. Charles. I really don’t see her much, but i enjoy seeing her a lot.”

Why did you choose to teach math?

“I’ve always loved math since I was young. I always had to study because it didn’t come naturally, but I love numbers and how they work.”

What are you looking forward to the most this year?

“I like the high school environment and i really like the single sex education. Teaching young women they can be successful at math and teaching higher level math.”

Fun fact?

“I am teaching in the same classroom I was in 15 years ago. I have over 80 first cousins and I am one of seven kids.”