St. Teresa’s Academy seniors Elaina Brownlee, Mackenzie Hatfield and Rachel Knox plan to pursue art in college

A number of STA students from each graduating class choose to study art after high school. The Dart interviewed three of those applying to art institutions this year to discover the reasons behind their interest in pursuing art at the collegiate level.

Elaina Brownlee

Self-expression and creativity are life essentials, at least, according to senior Elaina Brownlee.

‘I’m really inspired by all artists,’ Brownlee said. ‘I know how difficult the art process is and I admire everyone expression of their feelings through their art, even if I don’t agree.’

Hoping to become an art teacher or art therapist, senior Elaina Brownlee looks forward to pursuing art at the collegiate level.

‘I really just enjoy the expression of art and all forms of it,’ Brownlee said. ‘[Art] is so creative and inspiring and changes all the time. I love that each person has a different interpretation and view. I like the effort and the process of creating art that really speaks to others.’

Brownlee will have completed drawing I, advanced drawing, graphic design, computer graphics, painting and ceramics I and II by the time she graduates from STA. She is eager to further pursue art as a profession at either the Kansas City Art Institute, the University of Missouri at Kansas City, Colorado State University, Arkansas University or Pratt University.

‘I want to study art history, ceramics and really all forms so that I can have an appreciation and knowledge of all forms of art,’ Brownlee said. ‘After college, I want to be an art teacher so that at an early age I can inspire children and bring out their creativeness and expressions through art.’

Mackenzie Hatfield

Airports, old hair salons, abandoned buildings past the 300th block on Kansas and works by horror photographer Joshua Hoffine.

All of these inspire senior artist Mackenzie Hatfield.

‘I never really just decided that I was interested in studying art,’ senior Mackenzie Hatfield said. ‘It kind of just always has been naturally where I gravitate to. I have a desire to create things, especially things that don’t exist otherwise.’

Eager to express her creativity, Hatfield has taken ceramics I and II and fibers at STA as well as five years of classes at the Kansas City Art Institute, Hatfield hopes to pursue a career in commercial photography at either the Kansas City Art Institute, the Ringling College of Art and Design, the Savannah College of Art and Design, the Art Institute of Boston, the University of Kansas or the University of Central Missouri.

‘I decided to apply to art schools because I want to go to a school where I can finally formally study art,’ Hatfield said. ‘Someday, I will have a career in the arts. It’ll just take some convincing of my parents that not all artists are ‘Ëœstarving artists.”

Rachel Knox

Senior Rachel Knox fell in love at an age when most girls are still potty-training.

‘When I was a little tot, my parents gave me markers and covered the coffee table with paper,’ Knox said. ‘So, I guess that’s where I started my addiction. My parents, I think, did that so I wouldn’t draw on the walls, which I had been doing. I’ve loved art since and I just think it’s a great way to spend my time.’

In high school, Knox has dedicated much of her time toward practicing art. She has taken nearly all of the art classes STA offers including drawing, advanced drawing, painting, graphic design, ceramics I, computer graphics, digital photography, and portfolio, along with an architectural drawing class at the Kansas City Art Institute and a design class at Johnson County Community College.

But despite her love for art, Knox did not always think she could continue to study the subject after high school.

‘I’ve known what I’ve loved to do ever since I was little, but before, I didn’t think art could be a profitable career possibility,’ Knox said. ‘Then, in high school, I got into design.’

Choosing to study art at the collegiate level, Knox hopes to study either interior or industrial design, depending where she attends school in the fall. She is considering the University of Kansas, Kansas State University, Missouri State University, Iowa State University, Maryville University, the Cleveland Art Institute and the Savannah College of Art and Design.

Would you ever consider applying to an art school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.