Meditation and prayer offered in new chapel

by Rowan O’Brien-Williams

At the request of president Nan Bone, Ms. Lynn O’Leary began leading prayer and meditation for STA students in the Windmoor Center and the Chapel of St. Joseph after it opened last month. O’Leary has a background in religion. O’Leary said she converted to the Catholic faith after she married 25 years ago, and ever since she has had a thirst for learning more about her faith. She started off leading prayer groups for her children’s schools, such as Cure of Ars. She also taught Catechesis of the Good Shepherd to children in pre-school up to 2nd grade and currently teaches that at St. Ann’s Catholic School. O’Leary comes to STA weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to noon during activity periods. O’Leary said that this can be a 10 to 30 minute time, or longer, to relax and dwell in God’s light in the new chapel.

“My hope for this time with the girls in the beautiful new Chapel of St. Joseph is not necessarily to lead a meditation or structured prayer time, but to invite the girls to take a little quiet time in their day to rest and get away from tests, classes, etc. and be able to hear and know how much God loves them,” O’Leary said.

Each day, O’Leary reads a short meditation and encourages the girls to think about how it might apply to their day. She also offers bookmarks with scripture and inspirational thoughts to take home, cards and mini-lessons for reading or copying on a card or in a journal and even a treat now and then to go with a prayer card.

“There are laminated copies of a great meditation written by St. Anselm that talks about coming into God’s presence and turning aside for a little while from your thoughts and cares of the day,” O’Leary said. “Another one on peace encourages us to not worry about what will happen tomorrow, but resting in confidence that God will give you courage to bear it.”