Students not cleaning tables in Commons

by Madeline Best

This year, activity one students have been leaving behind trash in the Commons. Students eating during activity two are finding left over food and trash awaiting them at their tables. The trash and lack of help from teachers is beginning to anger many.

Sandwich crusts, Jojo’s containers, squished grapes; these type of things can be found disregarded on tables after lunch. This upsets some students and makes them wonder when a change will be made. Students, such as sophomore Cassie Florido, are voicing their opinions to those who are causing the problem.

“I think the students who are leaving the trash on the tables are showing disrespect to the teachers, the other students who are using the lunch tables, and the school,” Florido said. “It’s not that hard to be respectful and clean up your trash when you leave the table.”

Florido is not the only one who thinks we need to respect one another’s space. Spanish teacher, Ms. Hollstein, is one of the regular lunch monitors and has witnessed girls leaving behind lunch bags and food.

“I think it’s everybody’s responsibility to clean and be respectful of each other because you don’t want somebody leaving behind stuff where you sit and then have to clean it up,” Hollstein said.

Seeing that it is the school’s responsibility to keep the Commons clean, who here is at fault for making them dirty in the first place? Sophomore Emily Hafner thinks the freshman are at fault because the tables are always very messy after they eat during activity one. When asked whether she agrees her grade was causing part of the mess, freshman Sydney Edmonds said that she sees her fellow freshmen leaving trash behind all the time.

According to Hollstein, teachers monitoring lunch would routinely walk around and remind girls to throw trash away last year. This year, there has been a drop in those reminders. Hollstein said that teachers would receive emails reminding them to do this, but this year they have not received these type of messages.

This leaves it up to the students to work on keeping their tables clean and reminding others to do the same.