Students evacuate Music and Arts Building

While waiting in the Windmoor Center during Activity 2 after the fire alarm was set off a second time, students sang Taylor Swifts Our Song and Jason Mrazs Im yours. They were led by guitarist Brianna Valine.
While waiting in the Windmoor Center during Activity 2 after the fire alarm was set off a second time, students sang Taylor Swift’s “Our Song” and Jason Mraz’s “I’m yours.” They were led by guitarist Brianna Valine.
Story by Lauren Langdon, Pictures by Adrianna Ohmes

*UPDATE: The fire alarm went off again in activity two. Students in the Commons were told to sit down, while students in other rooms in M&A evacuated to the Windmoor Center. The alarm turned off minutes later.

For part of that time, sophomore Brianna Valine led a group of girls in Windmoor in songs “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz and “Our Song” by Taylor Swift.

A few moments from “Our Song”:

A few moments from “Our Song”

**UPDATE: The fire alarm went off again during period nine. The administration was unable to turn it off and decided to let school out at 2:30 p.m.

STA students have criticized others for not taking fire drills seriously. Those drills were put to the test during third period Feb. 9 when smoke was found in Mr. Michael Sanem’s closet setting off the fire alarm. Sanem’s sophomore class had to stop their test and join the rest of the people in the M&A Building as they evacuated to the Windmoor Center. The cause of the fire appears to be a smoking motor.

According to Ms. Melissa Axton there was a weird smell before the fire alarm went off.

Some teachers like Ms. Katie Dolan knew about the smoke before the fire alarms alerted everyone. Moments before the alarm went off she received an email that said there was smoke in the building and that the firemen have been alerted.

“It was hilarious,” junior Holly Fielder said. “I was sitting [in the chapel] studying for an exam when [president] Nan Bone ran out of a room and said, ‘Is that us?'”

Sophomore Katie Tampke recalled where she was when the alarm went off.

“I was sitting in Spanish class when the alarm went off, we were like ‘uh-oh someone is in trouble,'” Tampke said. “Senora Hollstein said, ‘No chicas, away from the window. Calm down.’ People panicked and grabbed their phones and questioned about netties.”

Other students worried about their netbook. Junior Emma Stanfield brought her nettie with her to the Windmoor Center, but only because it had her driver’s license and phone in the case. Students in the Windmoor Center laughed with their friends and some claim that they should get a “fire day” since they have not had a snow day this year.

“This is the most exciting thing that has happened all year at school,” junior Erin Sheehy said.