Math teacher announces pregnancy

Math teacher Jeanella Clark announced her pregnancy to students in September. This will be Clark’s second child, and is due March 3.  Students in all of Clark’s math classes participated in a vote tallied on her whiteboard guessing what the gender of the baby would be.  Before finding out the gender of their child, Clark and husband Stacy Clark selected possible names for both a boy and a girl.  Jeanella and Stacy chose the name Emmet Logan for a boy and daughter Valerie Clark chose the name Savannah Hope for a girl.  Oct. 21 Jeanella found out she will be delivering a baby girl.  Prior to this date, Valerie referred to her new sibling using a gender non-specific nickname: “Boobadoo.

Due to her pregnancy, Clark will be unable to finish out her second semester classes. Clark does not plan to return as a full time teacher, but hopes that she will be able to remain part of the STA community by part-time teaching. Clark does not know who will take over her classes once she goes on maternity leave but says that she would like it to be someone with a similar teaching style as herself. Clark has talked with principal for academic affairs Barbara McCormick and hopes that they can arrange for her replacement to observe her classes before taking over.

“I just want to make sure that whoever [McCormick] hires is comfortable in the classroom,” Clark said.