Career choices begin in high school at St. Teresa’s Academy

College counselors from University of Missouri and Rockhurst University give insight on deciding college degrees | by LAURA NEENAN

A common question during one’s youth is ‘what do you want to be when you grow up?’ Kids dream of becoming veterinarians, firefighters and movie stars.  In high school, students start seriously considering how, based on their abilities and interests, they can find the career that is right for them, according to Timothy McIntosh, the assistant director of business career services at the University of Missouri.

‘While it is difficult for some to conceptualize exactly what they want to ‘Ëœbe when they grow up,’ the earlier you know, the more developed and advanced your skill-set can become for that arena,’ McIntosh said.

As a college preparatory school, STA gives students knowledge and resources to help prepare for life after high school.  Whether a student is interested in science, English or the arts, choosing courses in a particular area can help mold one’s future.

‘Some students choose [classes focusing on their potential major in college], but there is not a lot of flexibility in the scheduling,’ academic and college advisor Debi Hudson said. ‘However, those who go into the arts or health field might choose more classes or electives based on that subject.’

According to Hudson, the most common major STA graduates declare is health related.  STA alumna Shannon VanBuskirk, a junior at the University of Kansas, is in the pre-medical program. VanBuskirk focused on science during her studies at STA because she knew she wanted to become a doctor.

Junior Molly Kenney also hopes to have a career in the medical field.  Like VanBuskirk, Kenney has taken challenging math and science courses to prepare for college level classes.

‘Some [students] enter college with a clear idea of what they want to study and never vary from their selected path,’ director of career services at Rockhurst University Mike Theobald said. ‘Others are interested in exploring a variety of areas.’

Theobald suggests students talk to individuals currently working in an area they are interested in about job shadowing for a day to gain exposure and experiencein the field.  Both McIntosh and Theoblald agree each person takes a unique path path to choosing a career.

‘The career development process is life-long,’ Theobald said. ‘Many factors will impact that as one leaves high school, enters college and transitions into the real world.  One of the best things to do is explore your own unique skills and talents, find your passion in life and the career path will follow.’

The Dart interviewed STA junior Molly Kenney, who currently interested in studying biology when she goes on to college in two years.

DART: What do you hope to major in?

Molly Kenney: I am thinking about studying biology in college. It’s something that is flexible and allows me to later decide what I want to do, which is something in the medical field.’

D: What is your hopeful career path?

MK: I enjoy working with kids and would want to be a pediatric nurse or an outpatient patient physical therapist.

D: Have have you taken any specific classes in high school that relate to your potential career?

MK: I tested out of physical science freshman year because it was information I had already learned in grade school. This has enabled me to take harder courses now including AP Biology. This way, I can get as many science credits now so I know what to expect in college.

D: When did you decide you wanted to study biology?

MK: I knew sometime between eight grade and freshman year I wanted to [work in health care] because I volunteered at Saint Luke’s Hospital in the physical therapy program. Also, last summer I attended the Pathways to Nursing Camp at UMKC and was gained exposure to multiple aspects of nursing. The more I was exposed [to these careers], the more I enjoyed them.

The Dart interviewed ‘Ëœ07 alumna Shannon VanBuskirk.  VanBuskirk, who is majoring in pre-med at the University of Kansas.  She speaks out about her career choice.

DART: Why did you choose pre-med?

Shannon VanBuskirk: I chose pre-med because of my interest in the medical field and my desire to help others.

D: How long did you know you wanted to be a doctor?

SV: I have wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember. I have always been fascinated by the human body and knew that my calling was in the medical field.

D: In high school, did you take any classes that helped form your interest in the medical field?

SV: Instead of filling my schedule with fun electives, I took extra science classes. Enrolling in the honors sections, I hoped to get a jump-start on the college, pre-medical curriculum.

D: Do you have any advice for high school students choosing college degrees?

SV: Follow your passion. In college you have to get serious about your career and academics. If you don’t enjoy what you are studying, you will never make it. By following your passion, you ensure that you will remain motivated and interested.