Administration implements class masses for 2011-2012 school year

By Mickey Redlingshafer

Class masses began this school year after the administration brought the idea to Campus minister Joe LaScala. He decided to implement these masses starting last Wednesday. Masses will be on Wednesdays and initially take place in the auditorium, but eventually will move to the Chapel of St. Joesph once it’s completed.

According to LaScala, these masses will start at 7:50 a.m., and student’s whose class is not going to mass have to be at school by 8:25 a.m. Attendance at these class masses is mandatory.

“There will be staff members outside the auditorium or chapel, and they will take attendance as people come in,” LaScala said.

According to LaScala, each mass will have different priests from around the community. In addition, Mikey Needlemen will be doing the music at every mass.

“I am really excited, I love Mikey,” senior Colleen McInerney said. “I think its a really good idea[to have Mikey] because he plays more up beat music which is good in a high school setting.”

Additionally, Lascala is really excited about the masses and Needleman doing the music.

“I really like mass,” Lascala said. “I’m a fan of it because it is like the ultimate Catholic form of prayer because if you come to mass with an open heart and mind you’ll get something out of it whether its from song readings, prayer, or something in mind or heart.”

According to many students, they are excited for the masses because they will incorporate fun things to make the mass more interesting, but Other students are skeptical. Junior Grace Scovell is worried about the affects of these masses on carpool, specifically her own with freshman Sarah Jane McQuaid. Since the two are in different classes, they have to arrive at different times on Wednesday. Scovell also see’s this as a problem for parents that need to get to work.

“[The class mass schedules] are an inconvenience for parents that have to work,” Scovell said.

According to Scovell, carpool is not the only issue class masses are bringing up. Although she see’s the potential for increased class unity, she remains skeptical.

“These masses could definitely bring class unity, but I doubt they will,” Scovell said. “Most people will probably just sit with their normal friend group.”

However, McInerny believes it is up to the students to get something out of these masses and create better class unity.

“I think it depends on how people look at it, McInerney said. “If people look at it as we have to go to mass then [we will not have better class unity]. What you and your class puts into it you and your class will get out of it.”