Mass transit system will improve KC transportation

by Chelsea Birchmier

Former KC resident Clay Chastain pitched his new light-rail plan Oct. 14. With eight failed proposals and more to come, the people of Kansas City are constantly facing the choice: light rail or no light rail? Since 1998, plans for a new mass transit system have been in the works.

Chastain’s plan includes a 35-mile light-rail system that would stretch from the Kansas City International Airport to Lee’s Summit. He mentioned no specific route but says the light rail would serve South Kansas City, Swope Park, Westport, the Country Club Plaza, Penn Valley park and the Northland. Chastain hopes to receive federal funds and a 3/8 cent sales tax for 25 years for his $2.2 billion project.

Light rail, however, is not the only option. Jackson County executive Mike Sanders recently proposed a 144-mile plan for a commuter rail system, which would cost roughly $1.03 billion. A commuter system differs from a light-rail system because it is built on existing railway systems, therefore lowering the building cost significantly.

A light-rail system would increase traffic in Kansas City and provide people with a convenient way to get where they need to go. Eighteen miles of the light-rail spine would be in the Northland, providing connections between the north and downtown areas. In addition to convenience, the system would aid in saving energy and reducing pollution.

A commuter rail, on the other hand, could prove just as beneficial, due to its goal of providing work transportation. It could improve the economy by increasing job flow, while remaining more cost-effective than a light-rail.

Which will people choose, the commuter rail or the light rail? Most likely neither. Such a project would take a lot of time, hard work, and money to complete. For many, a rail system is something they see in the future, not now, with the current economic state.

However, with the National Scholastic Press Association convention coming to Kansas City in 2010, thousands of visitors will be in need of transportation. In addition, students at local schools, including STA, could possibly use the light rail as daily transportation to and from school.

A new mass transit system is just what Kansas City needs, not only to help its growth, but to give the economy a boost. With all the new building and development projects, downtown Kansas City is on its way to economic growth and success. Now all that’s missing is a way to get there.