Administration drops prerequisites for AP, accelerated courses

Next school year, there are will be no prerequisites for AP American literature, AP American history, accelerated world literature or college composition. For the 2011-2012 school year, students do not have to have a certain cumulative GPA to qualify for these classes. Additionally, students have the choice to take only one AP or accelerated interdisciplinary course rather than having to take the same level of history and literature. For example, a student could take AP American literature while taking regular American history instead of AP American history

Head of the English department Eric Thomas has already seen positive effects from this change.

“The immediate effect is that students are going to be challenged where they want to be challenged,” Thomas said. “Our enrollment numbers already show that we will have a huge leap in students taking accelerated and honors courses in the sophomore and junior classes.”

According to Thomas, enrollment numbers have increased from last year. Next year, accelerated world literature will have 69 students, AP American literature will have 65 students and college composition will have 42.

Principal of academic affairs Barbara McCormick reasons that these new decisions will benefit students, particularly juniors.

“I do believe that the disconnection of AP junior courses provides the student of a better selection and not feeling overwhelmed because it doesn’t mean that you have to take both courses,” McCormick said.

Sophomore Erin Thompson, who now has the option of taking AP courses due to this new change, believes that this change will have a positive effect on students.

“I think [the change] is good because students can have the option,” Thompson said. “I mean it wouldn’t be smart to take [an AP class] if it is your worst subject or anything but usually students can judge on their own to decide if they can handle it or not.”

Thomas believes that teachers are looking forward to the change.

“I think that [teachers] are just excited that students are willing to challenge themselves,” Thomas said. “I take it as a compliment that any miscellaneous student can challenge themselves.”

Thompson also believes that the change will have an overall positive reaction.

“I think students will be happy with this because they can challenge themselves and make their own decisions on what they want and can accomplish and handle,” Thompson said.