Snow days snow days are no fun unless they are for everyone

Q & A with president Nan Bone

1. What things went into consideration while deciding to cancel school or not for Thursday Feburary 3?

‘How the process works is that Sion, Rockhurst and St. Teresa’s talk together, meaning the Rockhurst principle, Sion president and myself. We talk about who has closed, why they have closed and the forecast. So for us we assume that most of the public schools close because of the buses and that does not apply for us.’

2. Was a late start considered?

‘We were debating a late start; the pros are that it gives our girls more time to get to school; they will hopefully drive slower, and the traffic is off the road. We weighed all that heavily, and we decided that since the weather was going to be cold all day and not warm up later, we would just go for it.’

3. When was this decision made?

‘We started the dialouge [with the other schools] around 2:30 in the afternoon and by the time we got everyone called it was probably 4 o’clock. We also talk to the grade schools because our decision greatly effects them. Rockhurst ended up calling a late start, so they must have continued talking after we had already done the school reach to our students.’

4. Why was the phone call needed?

‘I felt that I really wanted our girls to dress warm, just a pair of tights and a skirt would not be enough when crossing between the buildings when the temperature was negative seven.’

5. Do you feel that the right decision was made?

‘I do, you know, you never know if you’re absolutely sure because weather is so unpredictable, especially in the Midwest, but we based it on a lot of things and we don’t [want to] add extra days to the year.’