STA students enroll in two times the math

Girls join trend, take two math courses in one school year | by CAROLINE THOMPSON

Several STA students have decided to enroll in two math courses at one time after teachers first offered this curriculum option last year.  Following freshman year, students can substitute a math course for an elective to earn an extra math credit.

The girls that enroll in two math classes choose this route for reasons such as pursuing a favorite subject, graduating with higher math classes and earning additional math credits.

Sophomore Mary Kate Jenks chose this curriculum to move ahead in a subject she enjoys and wishes to pursue.

‘Math is something I want to do when I’m older,’ Jenks said.  ‘I thought getting ahead would be better.’

Jenks, who is considering aerospace engineering or mechanics, opted to take accelerated geometry with Ms. Diana Blessen and honors algebra II with Dr. Jo Weller as an elective.  By taking those classes sophomore year along with accelerated algebra I with Ms. Arlene Hernon freshman year, Jenks will have taken pre-calculus and AP calculus by graduation.

Until last year, according to Blessen, the math teachers did not offer this option because they thought taking two math courses was not a good idea.  The first student to follow this curriculum was junior Samantha Scheuler, after her parents and advisor Hernon strongly encouraged her.

‘Math has always been easiest, so I figured, ‘ËœWhy not?” Scheuler said.

Like Jenks, Scheuler took algebra II as an elective her sophomore year along with accelerated geometry.  Taking both math classes at the same time was very difficult, according to Scheuler.

‘Math has consistent homework and I had tests on the same days a lot,’ Scheuler said.  ‘And it was tough because it was totally different subject matter.’

Junior Victoria Godfrey, who is currently taking geometry with Ms. Jeanella Clark and algebra II with Ms. Barbara Harris, also commented on the amount of homework, saying she spends an average of two and a half hours on math homework each night.  After taking essentials of algebra freshman year and algebra I sophomore year, Godfrey opted to take two math courses simultaneously in order to ‘get caught up,’ she said.

According to Blessen, certain colleges do not accept essentials of algebra as a math credit, even though STA does accept the credit, but eliminated the course last year. Therefore, some students, like Godfrey, take additional math courses in order to earn those credits.

Taking two math courses, however, has affected Godfrey’s other classes.  Because the administration discouraged her from taking geometry, algebra II and chemistry, Godfrey is not enrolled in chemistry and has replaced it with ecology and botany.  After the first month of the two math class schedule, Godfrey tells students to avoid this scenario if possible. Ultimately, though, she says to take the school’s advice.

Likewise, Blessen suggests to any student considering this curriculum to take the advice of her math teacher.  Students recommended to take a class by their math teacher are capable of dropping that class if necessary, whereas students who choose to take an extra math class without a teacher’s approval cannot drop the class.

“In some cases, I’m very much in favor of [girls taking two math courses],” Blessen said.  “But in others I’m very much not.”

Both Scheuler and Blessen consider Scheuler’s case successful.  However, Blessen says she would recommend it for very few people.

“If it was my child, I would only have them take one math class a year,’ Blessen said.  ‘A part of me wants kids to be kids’” not working that hard in high school.’