REbeL’s Be You week kicks off with “Mirrorless Monday”

Members of the REbeL chapter covered up the mirrors on campus as the first event in Be You week.

A sign in the second floor bathroom of the Music and Arts building reads “looks don’t define you” Monday Mar. 5, 2018. Signs similar to this were hung over mirrors in bathrooms on campus.

by Julia Kerrigan, Opinion Editor

The first Be You week, which has replaced Kindness week, began with “Mirrorless Monday.” Members of REbeL covered mirrors around school with paper with sayings written on them such as “beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.”

“Each day we have activities lined up to help girls think a little deeper about who they are and how they view themselves and others,”  Senior Kelsey Scanlon, a REbeL member, said.

The week will continue with “Chat and Chew Tuesday” in the Windmoor building where students can partake in small group discussions, “White Board Wednesday” in the cafeteria where students will be able to write down what they love about themselves and “Thoughtful Thursday,” where all students, faculty and staff will be given buttons with positive messages to wear.

During advisory period on Thursday, students will participate in “Positive Pats,” where they will write down positive characteristics about each other.

“One week isn’t going to change someone’s self esteem completely, but it can get it moving in the right track,” Scanlon said.