STA Alums Win National Championship Title

The Notre Dame women's soccer team hoists up the championship trophy. Lauren Fowlkes (2007), Ellen Jantch and Molly Campell (2008) and Elizabeth Wilson (2010) all attended STA and are members of the team. Photo credit to Mike Bennett.

It was the 63rd minute in Cary, North Carolina. The wind was howling accompanying the frigid temperature. Freshman Adriana Leon shot a rocket just over the shoulder of Stanford’s freshman goalkeeper Emily Oliver.
Notre Dame had just scored the first and only goal of the women’s College Cup.
As time expired, four St. Teresa’s alumni stormed the field in celebration. They had just won a national title. Senior Lauren Fowlkes, juniors Molly Campbell and Ellen Jantsch and freshman Elizabeth Wilson, STA Alumnae, were absolutely ecstatic.
Prior to Sunday, Fowlkes had played in two previous college cups, but was unsuccessful at the national title. After the goal from Mandy Laddish, a freshman from Lee Summit, on Friday night the the team was on their way back to the championship.
‘Before the game I was excited but definitely nervous because of what was a streak,’ Fowlkes said. ‘I knew that we could and should win, but you can never be sure. I was really just focusing on doing my part and playing as hard as I possibly could.’

After Leon’s goal in the 63 minute and the blow of the final whistle, Lauren knew that they had finally finished on top.
With difficulty, Fowlkes articulated the feeling of the win.
‘After the game, the feeling was surreal,’ Fowlkes said. ‘You just can’t stop smiling and hugging everyone. It’s really kind of hard to put into words. I love everyone on our team and I honestly think that is why we won.’
All of the workouts even through the blazing summer heat and mornings before the sun was up finally paid off, four of our very own STA sisters are national champions in the world of women’s soccer.

‘It is amazing to have girls from home on the team,’ Fowlkes said. ‘STA girls just have this bond. We get each other, and it makes being a part of this team that much better.’

It is a proud day among the STA community for all to know that four of our fellow sisters worked hard to reach their dreams and will inspire us all to do the same.