“Hairspray” auditions held at Starlight Theatre

The auditions were held 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Berger Studio located at Starlight Theatre.

A few students auditioned for “Hairspray” at Starlight Theatre Jan. 7. photo courtesy of blogspot.com

by Faith Andrews-O'Neal, Writer

Starlight Theatre held teen ensemble auditions Sunday for their upcoming production of “Hairspray.” The auditions were held 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Berger Studio located at Starlight Theatre. To participate in the auditions, the auditioners had to be 15 years old to 18 years old, and either a student at a Blue Star award participating school or have participated in one of Starlight Theatre’s educational programs.

Freshman Ella Masek participated in the auditions. Masek, who is a member of the varsity dance team, progressed through the dance call of the auditions which ran from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.

“{I found out through} the email that was sent,” Masek said. “I liked the dance part of the auditions a lot,” Masek said.

She previously participated in middle school programs but had little experience with auditions with productions as large-scale as Starlight Theatre.

“I was kind of nervous because I’d never sang before in an audition,” Masek said.

The production of “Hairspray” will run from July 27 through Aug. 2 at the Starlight Theatre Cohen Community Stage.