STA student recieves perfect score

Senior earns first perfect score at STA in more than twenty years | by TAYLOR IRWIN

Summer weeks rolling on, then junior Celeste Bremen grabbed the mail like any other day. Absently flipping through the pile of stiff envelopes, her fingers stopped as she read her name in bold black letters. Knowing what lay inside, Bremen paused before tearing open the envelope and skimming the formal type, eyes searching for all that really mattered. Her SAT score, her ticket into her college, her future. It was the first of any of the dreaded tests she had taken, and Bremen felt pretty confident about how she had performed. Now, in front of her, Bremen got to take a look at how she did.
“2400,” Bremen read, a perfect score.

‘Honestly, at first, I was in shock,’ Bremen said. ‘I thought it must have been a mistake.’

Once the initial shock wore off, Bremen was happy with her score.

“I was extremely surprised and pretty pleased,” Bremen said. “My whole family was surprised, but really happy. It was a great feeling.”

According to STA’s college counselor Debi Hudson, Bremen was the first student at STA to receive a perfect score in the twenty years Hudson has worked at the school.

“It’s unbelievably rare,” Hudson said. “The numbers are incredible. [Bremen] was one of 250 students to receive [a perfect] score. 250 out of the 1.5 million kids took the test this year across the United States.”

According to collegeboard.com, an SAT informational website as well as student testing sign up, only around half a percent of the students who take the SAT receive a perfect score of 2400.

In preparation for the exam, Bremen purchased a prep book at a nearby book store and completed the recommended practices a few days prior. According to Bremen, she had not done anything “Super big to get ready.”

“It was the first time I took the test,” Bremen said. “And it’s definitely going to be my last. I might take the ACT again, but I’m definitely done with the SAT.”