Volleyball player Taylor Migliazzo recognized nationally

Sophomore chosen for defensive ability, helps varsity team | by LAURA NEENAN

STA sophomore and varsity volleyball player Taylor Migliazzo won the National 16 and under Championship this summer being added to the coveted group of “Defensive Dandies.”

“She’s pretty crucial to our success,” KC Power coach Danielle Stowell said. “Every time she touches the ball, we win.”

Migliazzo, along with previous STA students juniors Grace Whitley and Liz Powell, who now attend Bishop Miege High School, and club team KC Power team won the National Tournament June 29. Many players on the team were recognized including Whitley who was selected as the 2009 National MVP. Migliazzo also received recognition for her defensive ability by prepvolleyball.com for her position as libero, and was added to the list of “Defensive Dandies.”

As a libero, Migliazzo wears a uniform that contrasts with her teammate’s. The uniform allows her to substitute for any player in the back row during play, specializing in defense and serve reception.

KC Power finished the tournament with a 9-0 match record becoming the first Kansas City team to win an Open National Championship.

‘When we won [the championships], we were shocked,’ Migliazzo said. ‘We jumped on each other, were screaming, and yelling, its too hard to describe how we felt.’

According to Stowell, the team struggled in the previous 2008 National Tournament finishing 14th, motivating the players even more. As the second year coaching Migliazzo, Stowell and fellow coach, husband Mr. Mike Stowell, made practices more challenging and the game schedule tougher to prepare for the four-day National tournament.

“Physically, our team had it down,” Stowell said. “The mental preparation was what we needed to work on most. I just kept reminding them of the number 14.”

The mental preparation did not get in the way of Migliazzo’s hard work, according to Stowell.

“Whether things aren’t going our way or we’re down ten to zero, she is a good, steady force,” Stowell said. “Everyone knows what to expect from Taylor.”

Playing one year above her age group on KC Power, Migliazzo’s ability to compete at a higher level is apparent playing “well above her years,” according to Stowell. But for Migliazzo, it means working that much harder to prove herself to her teammates.

“Anyone who is playing at that high of a level is a huge benefit for our team,” STA varsity volleyball coach Amy Carlson said.

Migliazzo was one of three freshmen on STA varsity last year. According to Carlson, she is the most improved player since last season because of her increase in confidence and leadership skills.

“You can’t get down on your teammates or yourself,” Migliazzo said. “You have to have confidence and helping your teammates is what pays off in the long run.”

According to both Stowell and Carlson, Migliazzo leads quietly but through example, always working her hardest in both practices and games.

“Taylor is the captain of our defense…and feared by other teams,” Carlson said.

Showing tons of energy on the court according to Carlson, Migliazzo has become an essential part of the STA team. With already an offer from Oklahoma University, Migliazzo is planning on playing volleyball in college.

“Anything she wants is possible,” Stowell said. “She has her pick of schools, the smarts, mental capacity, good family, good friends, she’s got it all. She’ll be able to do anything.”

As for the recognition she has received the past couple months, it comes secondary to Migliazzo.

“You shouldn’t think about those titles,” Migliazzo said. “The team and just wanting to do well is enough motivation to me.”