Students celebrate Three Kings Day

Día De Los Reyes Magos, or Three Kings Day, provides outlet for educational food and fun for Spanish teacher Julia Gargallo’s students.

by Mackenzie O'Guin, Design Editor

“Today is a very special day for Spanish children,” Spanish teacher Julia Gargallo explained as students filed into her classroom earlier today. “It’s called Día De Los Reyes Magos, or Three Kings Day.”

This year, children in Spain weren’t the only ones celebrating Three Kings Day. Gargallo, who believes experiencing culture to be a vital part of learning a language, explained the holiday as “the Spanish version of Santa.” According to the International Business Times, Three Kings Day marks the last of the 12 days of Christmas, “revolving around the adoration of the three wise men, or magi, who visited the infant Jesus after his birth.”

Gargallo’s students were greeted with slices of traditional Rosca de Reyes, directly translated as King’s Ring, a colorful cake with a small baby Jesus statue hidden within it. While they enjoyed their cake, students watched videos of the Three Kings parade in Spain. As Gargallo explained, the Kings arrive in boats and parade through the streets to the town hall, where the mayor hands over a special magic key that unlocks every house in the city and allows the Kings to deliver their gifts to the children.

m & pr
Junior Mary Kate Randolph laughs as freshman Lenytte Matos discovers a small baby Jesus figurine in her slice of King’s Cake. Spanish teacher Julia Gargallo begifted that specific slice to Matos, the youngest student in class, so that Matos would receive the surprise Jesus. photo by Mackenzie O’Guin

According to junior College Spanish 3 student Isabela Solorio, experiencing Spanish culture was a welcome opportunity for learning-based entertainment.

“I learned that Three Kings Day is a very important holiday in Spain,” Solorio said, “I enjoyed celebrating it and I really liked the Kings Cake!”

Junior Paige Powell watches Junior Isabella Solorio cut the King's Cake for their College Spanish III class. Spanish teacher Julia Gargallo asked Solorio to cut the dense, fruit-topped cake as Gargallo handed pieces to the incoming students. photo by Mackenzie O'Guin
Junior Paige Powell watches junior Isabella Solorio cut the King’s Cake for their College Spanish 3 class. Spanish teacher Julia Gargallo asked Solorio to cut the dense, fruit-topped cake as Gargallo handed pieces to the incoming students. photo by Mackenzie O’Guin