Almost Southern: I don’t want to grow up

I can barely function as a human being.

by Meredith Mulhern, Staff Writer

I apologize if there any typos in this post because I just took off my glasses and I can’t really see out of my right eye that well. Everything is kind of spinning.

Anyway, happy early Thanksgiving! I pretty much love everything about Thanksgiving, but I am anticipating the worst for this year. Why, you ask? Well, I’m a senior in high school, that’s why.

I am preparing for the dreaded college questions.

I would write a post on how to avoid these questions, but there’s really no way. I know that come Thanksgiving day, my cousin’s grandma, my third cousin and some weird distant relative are all going to be asking me where I’m going to college, along with every other adult in the house.

The thing that will make answering this question very hard is that I have absolutely no clue where I’m going. No clue, whatsoever.

I also really, really, really, really, really do not want to go to college. Shocking, right? Pretty much every senior wants to get out and go to college, but I am perfectly content with being seventeen for the rest of my life. If there’s anyone who isn’t ready for real responsibilities, it’s me. I don’t even know how to do my own laundry or drive on the highway (I blame my severe driving anxieties for that). How can I go to college and function as an independent human being if I can’t perform simple everyday tasks???

Writing about this is literally giving me an anxiety attack. I’m having a hot flash. SOS.

Just the thought of leaving STA makes me physically ill. I have a mental breakdown approximately twice a week because I’m not ready for high school to end. I know I still have a semester left, but this semester passed in about two days. I swear I was in eighth grade last May, there’s no way I’m a senior. No way.

So, listen up underclassmen. High school is over in the blink of an eye, and start preparing yourself for the emotional, physical and mental toll it will take on you. I encourage you to embrace the fact that the real world is about to smack you in the face. You aren’t going to be a kid forever, unfortunately. As much as I would love to forever be supported by my parents, work once every two months, go out whenever I want and put off my academic responsibilities, that time of my life is ending (hold on, let me pull myself together).

Quite frankly, I am absolutely terrified. I don’t want to leave my friends, my family, my boyfriend or STA. Also, friendly tip: the end of high school is 10,000,000,000x harder when you have a boyfriend. Just warning you.

Anyway, I keep telling myself it’s going to be okay, and I kind of believe it sometimes. College is a must in today’s world, and I know I’m going to have fun. I guess the only way to get through it is to accept the fact that your life is changing, accept that you’re going to make new friends and live in a completely different place. I also need to realize that just because I’m leaving my friends and my boyfriend doesn’t mean they’re going to be completely out of my life.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is don’t wish high school away. You’re gonna be the one being harassed by random, irrelevant family members on Thanksgiving and Christmas pretty soon, so enjoy your freedom to eat turkey peacefully while it lasts.

P.S. – I hope you all enjoy the lovely STA Thanksgiving next Tuesday. Make sure to put on your eating pants, ladies!!