Attending a private school means signing over your rights

When eighth graders choose STA as their future high school, most of them have at least a vague idea of what they’re getting into. They know that there will be uniforms and, consequently, rules concerning these uniforms. They know that there will be a disciplinary system, and that teachers have the right to reprimand students as they see fit. At the very least, they know that STA is a private institution, and by attending the school, they are paying for the whole system, good and bad.

What many students don’t know, however, is exactly how many privileges the school has the right to restrict.

Hair color. Where we spend free-time. When and where we can call parents. What socks we wear. How we stay warm during winter months. What we publish.

Technically, nobody is forced to follow these rules, but as voluntary students of a private academy, we must. If a student deems the rules too restricting, she always has the option of leaving STA. Students have the responsibility of researching what rights they will and won’t have if they choose to attend a private school, but the school also has the responsibility of better informing its future and current students of their rights, or lack thereof.

It is true that every student receives a printed copy of the school code inside our planners, but things become problematic when these codes are not consistently followed. Some teachers are stricter than others about certain school rules, which creates confusion. A common question that stems from this confusion is if we are allowed to wear scarves or not. Technically, no. Commonly, however, almost every teacher allows them, in and out of the classroom. Piercings provide a similar example. The rule book says no to many, but classroom attitudes suggest otherwise.

How does the school expect students to take any rules seriously if many of them are casually disregarded every day? Or maybe we should question why so many teachers and students turn a blind eye to school regulations in the first place.

Could it be that some of these school laws diminish student individuality? Where will STA draw the line? Maybe nail color will be the next expression to land in the rule book, or makeup, or glasses frames.

The rulebook explicitly states that “distracting accessories”, which apparently include hair color and patterned socks, are prohibited; but this statement comes from the school administration, not students. The administration needs to start focusing less on what they consider a distraction and more on what students actually find distracting. When this happens, it will be easier for students to abide by the rules and develop a stronger respect for STA.