From rags to stitches

ZMLXhAtZYaBEE0ifyQ6PLeKunFSLsvBZh4r13B2VTkA
by Emma Willibey

Promoting the activewear line NEVA, which pays its Pakistani workers 10 times the country’s average wages, designer Sacha Nana answers the phone for an interview. Quickly, she poses a question: who is my advisor?

Nana, a Class of 2000 alumna, launched NEVA last year using fundraising website Kickstarter. NEVA’s products include an athletic jacket and relaxed-fit hoodie which online buyers can expect by June, Nana said.

“NEVA’s for women who really want to look good, feel good and do good,” Nana said.

Nana said she devised NEVA’s mission last April after finding newspaper articles about South Asia’s poor working conditions. The employees’ misery resonated with Nana, whose father is from Pakistan.

“I wanted to create some kind of sustainable employment opportunity to benefit the lives of women,” Nana said.

Remembering the hand-stitched garments she admired throughout childhood, Nana said she resolved to reward women’s sewing abilities. According to Nana, activewear was a natural focus, as NEVA’s customers aim to improve others’ wellbeing just as exercisers strive to improve their own. To confirm this determined attitude, NEVA’s employees stitch “Be the change” onto each product.

“[By working out], you’re doing all this positive stuff for yourself, so why can’t you do something positive for someone else at the same time?” Nana said.

Nana launched NEVA alongside a few partners who supplemented her vision with retail experience. According to Nana, the business’ give-back approach required research, as the team had to investigate Pakistani women’s $1.50 hourly pay before deciding an improved amount. Nana’s brother, who works in Pakistan’s garment industry, later met NEVA’s workers to link figures to faces.

“[The women talked about] food, health care, education they may not have,” Nana said. “So, really, [NEVA creates] a lasting impact for both these women and their children.”

Nana said she hopes to assist workers throughout South Asia rather than in Pakistan alone, but the brand cannot promise full-time employment until popularity increases. According to Nana, NEVA hopes to boost customers’ interest with a fall set that boasts sports bras and tank tops.

“We’re really expanding the collection,” Nana said. “We’ve got a designer working with us.”

Despite its newness, NEVA has not remained unnoticed in Kansas City. When buzz about NEVA reached Julie McCann, mother of freshman Claire and Mother-Daughter Luncheon organizer, McCann decided to feature NEVA jackets in the April 6 luncheon’s fashion show. While McCann said she has showcased products from companies that hire graduates such as Indigo Wild, this year marked the show’s first use of an alumna’s designs.

“This is unique for sure,” McCann said.

According to McCann, NEVA is not only distinct in the fashion show’s history, but in its own right. NEVA’s charitable approach may remind consumers of shoe brand TOMS, which donates one pair of shoes for every pair purchased. However, McCann said NEVA provides its audience more stable benefits.

“The difference [between NEVA and TOMS] is that it’s South Asian women that are part of the creation of [NEVA jackets],” McCann said. “[Nana is] keeping them to work.”

According to president Nan Bone, NEVA’s philosophy mirrors STA’s emphasis on female leadership.

“I bet [South Asian women] make $5 a day,” Bone said. “Think about what that worker must feel like [to receive higher wages]. That self-esteem.”

However, before empowering workers, Nana supported her own vision. A former Spirit Club co-captain, class treasurer and varsity tennis player, Nana said STA granted her the go-getter spirit that stimulated NEVA’s success.

“St. Teresa’s gave you so many opportunities to be a leader,” Nana said. “And also, I think, [STA gave] a sense of giving to the community.”