STA welcomes new faculty, staff

by MURPHY MARX

Marybeth Clune Compton

Development Office

Main responsibilities: overseeing capital campaign, alumnae communications, fundraising and donors

Her strategy: continuing the work that is currently going on and dedicating her energy and enthusiasm to keep momentum moving forward

Greatest challenge: ‘Fitting in all the things I want to do. There are so many opportunities and possibilities.’

This year’s plan: ‘Doing work that will make a difference at St. Teresa’s, to the young women in the community and making a contribution to the success of young women.’

Carolyn Hollstein

Spanish Department

Classes: Spanish I and II

Job History: Spanish teacher at Independence school in Wichita, KS

Teaching strategy: a demanding, but progressive curriculum that helps the student develop their language skills over time

Advice for her students: Practice vocabulary and grammar and listen to expectations

This year’s plan: ‘I am excited to get to know about the students and to get to know the other teachers and the school environment.’

Ashley Bailey

English Department

Classes: American Literature, World Literature, Contemporary Literature and Shakespeare

Job History: English teacher at Oak Park High School in North Kansas City

Teaching strategy: Letting students be in charge of themselves, but helping them make the right decisions

This year’s plan: ‘I want [students] to have fun with learning and be willing to be open and participate and get themselves out there.’

Kelly McKee

Silent Study Moderator

History: Social worker for the past 15 years

Classroom expectations: All students are silent and staying on task at all times

Reasons for coming to STA: ‘I am an alumna, along with my mother and aunts. I just wanted a change and thought [this job] was a great opportunity.’

Looks most forward to: ‘It absolutely takes me back to [my] youth, being on STA’s campus and calling myself a star again.’

Jennifer Petree

Testing Center Moderator

Classroom expectations: A silent study environment where students can also comfortably make up missed tests

Reasons for coming to STA: ‘I have a daughter here. I went to school here. It just seemed the perfect place to work.’

Looks most forward to: getting to know the STA students