Athlete of the Issue: Ally Drummond

story by Hannah Bredar, photo by Libby Hyde
Varsity athlete junior Ally Drummond practices her swing before she goes up to bat during a game Oct. 2.

Holding a career record of 20 double base hits, junior Ally Drummond advances the softball season with confidence. After her strong performance against St. Pius X High School Sept. 18, Drummond increases her records every game. Teammate Allison Bresette says that during the Pius game, Drummond was very confident.

“When [the team] got to the Pius field [Drummond] said, ‘I have a feeling someone is going to hit one out today,’ and it ended up being her,” Bresette said. “Each at bat got better for her.”

Drummond had five hits, seven run bat ins, one home run and ran a total of 11 bases in the game against Pius according to stats recorded by coach Ty Abney. So far this season, this has been Drummond’s most successful game. According to Drummond, softball is not just a physical game, it is also mentally challenging.

“[Because it is] such a mental game it’s hard to stay in [the game] all seven innings that you play,” Drummond said. “Mentally you have to be in it every single play.”

However, Bresette believes that Drummond is a consistent player that the team can always rely on.

“I like playing with Ally because she always keeps us focused in the dugout and we can always count on her to come through with a hit,” Bresette said.

This year, Drummond feels strongly about her teammates and believes that the togetherness of the team is a big strength.

“[The team] really meshes well together, we get along really well and I think that’s because everyone practices together so we all know each other really well,” Drummond said.