St. Teresa’s Academy senior Celeste Bremen plans to attend Ivy League School, the University of Pennsylvania

Valedictorian of the 2010 graduating senior class, Celeste Bremen, plans to attend the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania next fall. There she will study to become an actuary, or a specialist in risk mathematics.

Despite her academic accomplishments, only 7 of the 14 schools to which she applied accepted her as an admitted student.

With a 4.7 cumulative grade point average, Bremen has not achieved lower than an A- in her four years at STA. In fact, she has only received two of them: one in drawing I, first semester of her freshman year, and one in physical education, second semester of her freshman year.

Bremen scored a perfect 2400 on the SAT. She has won a number of academic awards at STA and beyond, including recognition as a National Merit Finalist and Missouri 100 Scholar and recognition in mathematics and science bowl competitions.

However, Bremen is modest about her accomplishments.

‘I think my strengths are, well’¦’ Bremen said, trailing off with a laugh. ‘I guess I just try to be self-disciplined and get stuff done.’

Friend of over ten years, senior Mia Hawkins, believes that much of Bremen’s success has come because of her work ethic.

‘[Bremen] doesn’t procrastinate,’ Hawkins said. ‘And she works really hard at everything she does, and she’s really diligent to make sure what she does is done correctly, not just slopped together.’

According to Hawkins, Bremen is a not only an outstanding student, but an outstanding all-around individual.

‘Obviously her brilliance 2400 on the SAT is awesome,’ Hawkins said. ‘But, also I think everyone sees how kind she is to everyone and how positive she is all the time.’

Hawkins and senior Nina Salazar agree Bremen is rarely seen without a smile. Math teacher and math team advisor Dr. Jo Weller also thinks Bremen particularly stands out because of her attitude.

‘I think what’s great about Celeste is that her enthusiasm for learning is genuine and even when she’s buried in all this work, she always carries a positive attitude,’ Weller said.

Because of her accomplishments, dedication to education and kind nature, many students look up to Bremen, Hawkins believes. Salazar agrees.

‘I personally look up to [Bremen],’ Salazar said. ‘I think quite a few people do. I can’t think of one bad quality she has.’

Weller believes that Bremen’s diligence in her work ethic has helped her in high school and will continue to help her to succeed at the collegiate level.

‘I think she’ll do great in college because she knows how to balance her time, and she knows how to study, and she knows how to enjoy life,’ Weller said.