STA students named athletes of the week

STA students named athletes of the week
Caroline Fiss
by Leigh Campbell

The Kansas City Star named STA senior track runner Courtney Coppinger high school athlete of the week April 22 and STA junior soccer player Savannah Trujillo high school athlete of the week April 11. The Star recognizes two noteworthy high school athletes weekly.

“I was really surprised,” Coppinger said. “I had no idea that I was recognized, it felt good to have strangers recognize your hard work.”

Coppinger won both the 800 and 1600 meter races at the Gary Parker Invitational April 12, according to momilesplit.com. She also won her 1600 meter heat at the University of Kansas Relays, finishing in the final heat with a time of 5:07.74, according to runnerspace.com.

“Being honored really motivated me through my workouts,” Coppinger said. “When the workouts were tough I just thought about how I had to live up to the standards set.”

According to the Kansas City Star, Trujillo was named most valuable player of two tournaments in a six-day span, contributing more than eight goals to the Stars’ tournament wins. Trujillo has scored the most goals on the team, 19, so far in the season.

“It is cool to have someone to look up to,” JV soccer player Taran Smith said about Trujillo.

Both athletes will continue their training at the collegiate level. Trujillo committed to play soccer at the University of Missouri last year. Coppinger signed a National Letter of Intent to run cross country and track at the University of Kansas Feb. 6.

“I have been running for four years,” Coppinger said. “I get to continue running at KU next year.”

Hy-vee also recognized the STA varsity soccer team as the team of the week April 21. In an interview with Hy-vee, head coach Jeremy McElduff said there is very little for him to do; the team’s talent and commitment drives the team.