New principal Barbara McCormick strives to connect with students

New principal of academic affairs wants to be visible on campus | by ROSIE HODES

As 530 names ‘“ 530 unique individuals ‘“ shuffle into the doors of STA today, it is new principal of academic affairs Barbara McCormick’s goal to memorize each face and name.

‘I am a bit overwhelmed to learn 530 names,’ McCormick said. ‘But I will do it because I love to. It might take a long time, but that’s okay.’

Although McCormick’s memorization skills have not yet been put to the test, president Nan Bone said she is a quick learner.

‘Sometimes I feel like we’re overloading her, but then I’m surprised how quickly she’ll come back after absorbing so much information,’ Bone said.

McCormick began her duties as principal soon after the STA search committee announced former principal Nancy Hand’s replacement last April. Previously, she was the principal at Our Lady of Peace catholic grade school.

Over the summer, McCormick learned as much information as she could about STA. She studied the course curriculum, the student handbook, STA’s history in the book Who is God Like?, worked with counselors and concentrated a lot of her time learning modular scheduling.

Bone, principal for student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker and junior Alex Stuckey agree that having someone new in a high position at STA is beneficial because there is an opportunity for fresh ideas about everything she has learned. Stuckey said it is important for McCormick to have a balanced perspective when working with new and old ideas.

‘[McCormick] should be able to look at both sides of a situation,’ Stuckey said. ‘She should keep in mind the students’ point of view while still staying professional.’

According to McCormick, she will make a connection with students by sitting in on classes and experiencing a student’s typical day, attending athletic and fine art events and participating in service week and a Kairos retreat. Stuckey believes this type of involvement is important for a principal.

‘Adults are always telling us to get involved, they should tell teachers and faculty, too,’ Stuckey said. ‘Go to games, come down for lunch. We might be crazy, but [McCormick] should see that.’

According to Bone, McCormick is not a ‘behind the desk person,’ and she encourages connections with the students.

‘I keep telling her ‘ËœWait ‘Ëœtil you meet the girls!” Bone said. ‘Enjoy them, be with people, interact ‘“ there’s no way to do that behind a desk.’

McCormick said she is excited to see the students on campus and work alongside them.

‘I want to know the inspiration behind all of the aspirations you have,’ McCormick said.

One way McCormick wants to ‘roll up [her] sleeves’ and work with the students is by helping create the senior slideshow for class day, which she learned about by working with the class representatives. She said they should not send something away to be completed when STA has the resources and skills to complete it here. McCormick has the technological background to help with such a project.

According to Bone, McCormick’s expertise is in technology. They have many plans for making STA more technologically advanced such as using Googledocs, establishing a wireless campus, experimenting with lap tops, taking advantage of Facebook, and creating webcasts. McCormick said she wants to focus on technology because the field of education does not advance as quickly as other fields, so she wants to try to keep up with other industries and utilize resources available to STA. Bone and McCormick agree that advancing technology is an effort to keep up with the pace of STA students.

‘Your generation has grown up with computers,’ McCormick said. ‘I guess you could say you’re digital natives. We as adults are the immigrants trying to learn it all.’

While McCormick knows she has a lot to soak in, she thinks it will be easier when the school year starts and she can see how everything she learned works on a daily basis.

‘I am eager to see you here and feel your presence,’ McCormick said. ‘It will bring joy to my heart and a smile to my face.’