Hansbrough and McCarthy to retire from teaching

Theology teacher Betsy Hansbrough instructs a morality class about their end of the year presentations March 27.
story by Hannah Bredar, photos by Meghan Lewis
Theology teacher Betsy Hansbrough instructs a morality class about their end of the year presentations Mar. 27.

When the current school year is over, two teachers will be retiring from STA. Religion teacher Betsy Hansbrough and and technology teacher Kathy McCarthy have both taught for multiple years, but according to Hansbrough, they have very different job histories.

Hansbrough has been in many job fields, from a parole officer to a registered nurse. After STA, Hansbrough will be starting her sixth career and will continue with volunteer work.

“I have enjoyed teaching very much,” Hansbrough said. “I do plan to go to other work that combines all the things I have done.”

On the other hand, McCarthy has only had a couple jobs in the past, but her main job has been as a technology teacher. McCarthy worked for about six years as a secretary then taught for a year at Savior of the World Seminary, a boarding school for men who were considering priesthood. According to science teacher Mary Montag, she was taught by McCarthy even when she attended STA.

“I believe I have taught a total of 37 years and 36 of those years have been at STA,” McCarthy said.

Computer teacher Kathy McCarthy instructs a Technology and Media class Mar. 28.

According to Hansbrough, she became a professional singer when she got out of college and became a juvenile court officer soon after that and worked with kids at juvenile court for 10 years. She then went into nursing school to become a registered nurse and worked for over 20 years as an ICU nurse and after that ended up at STA as a religion teacher.

“In the midst of that work, I studied and received a masters degree in ministry and for a while worked as both nurse and chaplain,” Hansbrough said.

A student of Hansbrough, sophomore Sophia Hall admires Hansbrough for experimenting in so many job fields.

“I think [Hansbrough] is so interested in many different fields and loves learning new things that that is why she likes to change up her career,” Hall said. “I think it is great that she is constantly furthering her education and sharing it with the world.”

Both Hansbrough and McCarthy are excited to start a new chapter in their lives but have mixed feelings about leaving STA. According to McCarthy, she will miss STA but hopes to keep active through volunteer work while in her retirement. After STA, Hansbrough will continue her study of the Girardian theory to spread it all over the world.

“I will be working with others from around the world to create a curriculum for middle and high school students to teach [the Girardian] way of viewing the Gospel and acting in life,” Hansbrough said. “I will also intend to take this to other schools.”