i can cry if i want to

You just got into a huge fight with your mom about how “worthless” she thinks you are. The loud words previously exchanged have quickly turned to a grounding from her and a crying attack from you. You run upstairs and lay on your bed, balling your eyes out and repeating the same phrase over and over again; “THIS ISN’T FAIR, THIS ISN’T FAIR..” (You SO do that). What’s the first thing you do? You look in the mirror.

Seriously, don’t lie. You so do not call your best friend/boyfriend or cuddle with your favorite stuffed animal. You observe yourself in the mirror. But, it’s okay; like I say time and time again, EVERYONE DOES IT. Not just the pretty/vain people.

Hence, this week’s topic: looking in the mirror when you are crying.

Hopefully by now we’ve established a good enough relationship via cyberspace that you aren’t denying the fact that you do this. But for new readers, seriously, don’t waste your time trying to defend yourself, because YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Therefore, we aren’t going to point fingers (Mr. Fast), or accuse anyone specifically of looking in the mirror during a ball fest. Instead, let’s focus on why we all do this.

So, WHY? Oh, the possibilities. Here are the top seven reasons I could come up with:

1. Maybe you like the way you look, and actually enjoy gazing at your reflection in any given circumstance, even if you are hysterically crying. Or maybe looking at your  beautiful reflection distracts you from crying and makes you happier. Okay, cool. It’s not a sin.

2. Maybe you just want to see what you look like when you are crying. You might even try to smile to see what it looks like (Do not deny that, you totally do that) and then continue your crying rampage.

3. Maybe you are making sure that you look pitiful and sweet when you cry, and not just a puffy eyed, snot-stained mess. No crime there. WE UNDERSTAND.

4. Maybe you want to see if others are going to be able to tell that you have been crying. It’s always bad when you have just gotten over a crying attack and someone asks, “Have you been crying?” Okay, that’s understandable too.

5. Maybe you just don’t want to be alone while you are sad, even if it’s just a reflection sharing your sadness. Okay, this is where I draw the line. Seriously, stop. Go call your friend/boyfriend or cuddle with your dog.

6. Maybe you do it to wallow in your own self-pity and feel bad for yourself. This also is unacceptable. Looking at your reflection just makes it worse. Stop wasting your time looking in the mirror and focus on getting over whatever happened.

7. Maybe it’s just human nature; sadness fuels the desire to look at one’s reflection in the mirror. Okay, THANK GOODNESS. We are all so thankful for this magnificent gift.

So there you have it. We all look at ourselves in the mirror when we cry, no matter where we are; home, work, school–anywhere with a mirror/reflection to give us solace. However, my advice to you is remember to have good technique. Now that you know that you really aren’t the only one who partakes in this lovely pastime, DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE. It’s okay to make a quick glance in the mirror from time to time, but seriously, no more than once a week. It takes the fun out of realizing we do these things without thinking.

Remember: YOU ARE NOT VAIN. Embrace your blotchy reflection. And get over yourself as soon as possible. No one likes a frowny face.

Love,

wEirdO