Tube Socks and Sports Bras: Goodbye Fall Sports

by Cassie Florido

Well, it’s about that time. Time to say farewell to our beloved fall sports. It’s been a pretty crazy season. But sadly, it has come to an end. The 2012 season has officially come to an end. Sometimes it’s hard to say goodbye. But here goes nothing:

photo by Brock Stubbs of Pec-Sports

Dear softball team,

Softball will  always have a special place in my heart. I still remember my days of coach pitch when I thought I was so cool because I had a pink glove. I just knew everyone was jealous of my pink glove (they weren’t). I don’t know if you guys realize it, but the softball team is pretty awesome. Softball is probably one of the most underrated sports at STA. I had the chance to chat it up with a majority of the team while we were getting taped up and iced in the trainer’s room (injured crew 4 life). I swear that team had the most injuries ever. But this year, the team improved so much. Not to mention they beat Sion (ohhh yeahh). They are one big, happy family that loves each other on and off the field. It was refreshing to see a sports team that is genuinely supportive of each other. The softball program keeps improving each year and I know they will continue to go to amazing places in the future. Love you softball team!

Dear golf team,

photo by Brock Stubbs of Pec-Sports

I will be honest, in my opinion golf is one of the hardest sports. Yeah, you don’t have to run suicides or laps, but golf takes some serious patience. Which, if you know me, I obviously don’t have a lot of. My golf career ended when I went with a friend to the golfing range for fun. What was supposed to be a fun time hitting some golf balls quickly turned deadly. Let’s just say I did not hit anymore balls once I managed to hit one backwards. Don’t ask how that happened because to this day I still have no idea., but it was traumatizing. That amazing display of my golf skills, just shows how it takes real skill to play golf. The team had a really good year with two girls going to State and performing really well. Overall, the golf team had a great year. I know they will working hard and improving for next year, and hopefully win State. I know they can do it.

photo by Brock Stubbs of Pec-Sports

Dear volleyball team,

What can I say to my fellow volleyball players. All I can say is that this season was unforgettable. I will never forget riding with you guys in the pitch black, in the middle of nowhere, on the way to the Ozark tournament. Or fearing for our lives every single second we were in that sketchy elevator with 10 other girls as it got stuck a couple times on the way up to our room. It’s the crazy moments like this that brought our teams together. The times off the court we spent together are the times I will never forget. The support the teams gave each other from team to team was amazing. When it came to cheering on the other teams, the fact that all the players were willing to go up against student sections filled with boys is pretty awesome. Yeah, we were definitely louder than them.

The volleyball program had some ups and downs throughout the season. But in the end, I think we realized that we were all in this together (cue Zac Efron singing).  And at the end of the season, we all stood as one. Yes, I know I’m being a cheese ball, but I really do love each and every single one of you. Yes, even all you way too energetic freshmen.

photo by Brock Stubbs of Pec-Sports

Dear tennis team,

This year the team had a great season. Congrats on beating Sion for the first time in SEVEN YEARS. Once again, tennis is not my calling. One time, my mom and sisters invited me to the park for a friendly game of tennis. Let’s just say they never asked me back after I hit the ball out of the fence, over a tree and into the street. It was probably one of my most embarrassing sports moments. My handy work with a racquet is bad to put it lightly. I guess I’m just used to swinging a softball bat and not a tennis racquet.

I didn’t get a chance to come watch the team play this year, but from what I have heard you guys had a pretty awesome year. I know it may not have ended the way you wanted it to, but you guys still had a killer season. I know next year you will take home the State trophy!

photo by Brock Stubbs of Pec-Sports

Dear cross country team,

You guys already know that I think you are absolutely crazy for running as much as you do. But again, I am still so amazed by you guys. Also, congrats on your 3rd place finish at STATE!! You really made STA proud. I think a case could be made to say that cross country had one of the best seasons out of all of the fall sports teams. It seemed like almost every week over the announcements there would be a long list of girls racking up medals at meets. For real though, it was at least ten names a week of girls who had placed in races. But I think the best part of the cross country team is their attitude towards the sport. Besides the usual complaint about shin splints, the girls always had a positive attitude before and after practice. I rarely ever heard a runner complain about how much they had to run or how tired she was. It seemed like the team was always excited to workout and perform their best, even during practice. Even after 5 miles of running, rosy cheeks and all, the girls always remained positive. It’s no doubt this is the reason the team was able bring the 3rd place trophy home to STA. So, congrats on all your hard work this season and results at State, all your hard work really did paid off.

Sadly, fall sports are over. The 2012 season was unforgettable. But now, it’s time to unleash the winter sports. I can’t wait until we all fill the gym to watch the basketball and dance team. And swimming obviously will dominate again. Let’s make the winter sports season as incredible as the falls sports season. Let the games begin!