Volleyball team wins Districts, loses Sectionals

by Jordan Berardi

The St. Teresa’s varsity volleyball team competed in the first round of district tournament play on Oct. 22 at William Chrisman High School. The Stars competed against the Fort Osage High School Indians. STA defeated the Indians in two games, winning the match. The win advanced the Stars to the District 15 semifinals.

On Oct. 24, St. Teresa’s played Oak Park High School in the district semifinal match at 5:30 p.m. STA defeated Oak Park in a two game match. This win advanced the Stars to the District championship which was played at 7:00 p.m. that night against Park Hill South High School. STA defeated Park Hill South in the first of three games in the match. After starting the second game, STA began to lose momentum. STA lost the second game against Park Hill South, forcing the teams to compete in a third game to complete the match. After coming back from a deficit of nine points, STA defeated Park Hill South, winning the district championship.

“We really displayed the quality of ‘heart’ that our team has shown the whole season,” junior Anna Kropf said.

On Oct. 27, the Stars competed in the Sectional tournament on their home court against Liberty High School. STA won their match against Liberty North which advanced them to the sectional championship against Lee’s Summit West High School. The Stars were defeated by Lee’s Summit West.