Young people should vote to be heard

Going through the voting process as a kid seemed so exciting, so secretive, so grown-up. Finally, after many years of waiting, we’ll be punching the buttons in the tiny polling booth. However, in 2008, only 48.5 percent of the 18-24 years age group voted, according to the Census Bureau. And this is where I’m confused; why is that number so low? While more young voters cast their ballots in 2008 than 2004, 48.5 percent is still less than half of the eligible population.

The majority of STA students can’t vote yet, so why would this take up 500 words in the Dart? This young generation has and will have a considerable amount of pull. People between the ages of 18 and 29, the “Millennials” or “Generation Y,” represented 24 percent of the electorate in 2011, and by 2020, will make up 36 percent of the electorate. The Millennials are also the largest generation in US history, coming in at 50 million young people (17 million more than Baby Boomers and 27 million more than Gen X), according to Rock The Vote, an organization which uses pop culture “to motivate [young people] to participate in every election…to create political and social change.” Millennials are also the most diverse generation in American history, 34 percent identifying as “non-white,” Young Democrats of America reports. With a more diverse group, more communities are able to be represented, which can more realistically portray the people as a whole.

As a result of the increase of internet use and stress on convenience, the registration process is available on the web. For someone to register to vote, which historically, involved paperwork, any person can register online, allowing people to more easily participate. Different URLs such as www.gottaregister.com let individuals fill out and submit their information right on the page and even embed the form on their website or blog to encourage others to vote. Other nonpartisan organizations sponsor applications on their own sites, like Rock the Vote’s located at http://register2.rockthevote.com. These also work to encourage this younger population to vote. In the 2008 election, 84 percent of the 18-29 year olds who registered cast a ballot.

In every election, there are a slew of issues, ranging in importance for each individual. There is something at stake for everyone, whether it’s equal pay, marriage rights, health care, affording college, or anything in between. Vote so issues will be noticed, or even just the one you feel most passionately about. Voting alerts representatives to what you actually want; it’s like a little flag that says “Hey! These people think this is worthwhile. You need to pay attention.” When representatives don’t hear about an issue, it will continue to not be addressed and this opinion, your opinion, will continue to be ignored. So vote. Vote for what is important. Vote to see the changes you want. Vote to be heard.

Right on Target: Each issue, the Dart asks three people their opinions of the issue discussed in the main editorial. Here’s what they said.

Compiled by Sabrina Redlingshafer

The Question: Why is it important that the young generations vote?

[wpcol_1quarter id=”” class=”” style=””]

Picture of Katie Daniels

Junior Katie Daniels: “Because [the youth] needs to be able to form the future for themselves.”

[/wpcol_1quarter]

Picture of Craig Whitney

History teacher Mr. Whitney: “It’s part of their citizenship and it’s every person’s highest calling.”

[/wpcol_1quarter]

Picture of Ceara VanBuskirk

Freshman Ceara VanBuskirk: “It’s really important because it will affect our own future.”

[/wpcol_1quarter]