NICE TO MEET YOU: Freshman Phylea Battle exceeds my expectations

When I decided my next victim would be a freshman, I prepared myself for the awkwardness. I thought any poor freshman would be terrified by a big, bad, 5-foot senior. But I guess I’m just not as intimidating as I thought. Either that, or freshman Phylea Battle is one of the most mature, confident 9th graders I have ever met.

Phylea credited her outgoing nature to her public-relations-involved dad. Wherever it came from, I was impressed.

Phylea began telling me about how fast her eighth grade year flew by, and I expected the story of the typical eighth-grader-itis, forgetting about school and soaking in every last moment with her friends from Academie Lafayette. But, Phylea proved my preconceptions wrong again.

For her eighth grade year, Phylea and her mom moved to North Carolina for her mom’s job. Phylea admitted that the first few weeks at a new public middle school were hard, but I have no doubt that her outgoing personality ignored the pressures of being a ‘new kid’ and helped her quickly snag some friends.

Lucky for STA, Phylea and her mom were able to move back to Kansas City earlier this year. She decided STA was the place for her in fourth grade, and she said she already feels home here after only a few months.

‘It’s really a big family feeling here,’ Phylea said. I couldn’t agree more.

I couldn’t hold back my jealousy that Phylea has four years ahead of her, while my remaining months are slowly dwindling. I sat there picturing the bright future for this one-of-a-kind freshman, and she sat across from me, taking my sage advice.

Here’s some more advice for the rest of STA: get to know Phylea Battle. She’s exceptional. Also, to next year’s dance team captains: let Phylea, a lifetime seasoned jazz and lyrical dancer with intense dedication, on the team. To Ms.. Dolan: give Phylea an A+’¦you’re her favorite teacher. And to whoever my next victim is: watch out.

Phylea Battle, it was nice to meet you.