Basketball team fails to advance to District final

by Lane Maguire

The varsity STA basketball team lost to Lee’s Summit High School in the District Semi-Final Feb. 22 at Lee’s Summit High School at 5:30 pm. The final score was 51-31.

The Dart talked to head basketball coach, Chance Stephen, prior to the game. According to Stephens, the team expected to win their District and then advance to Sectionals. Going into the game, STA was seeded higher than Lee’s Summit and had a 15-10 record (compared to the team’s 2010-2011 record of 7-15). The team had not yet played Lee’s Summit High School that season. The team’s strategy was to press on offense, play a zone defense, attack the rim, and get to the free-throw line.

“I think we are really prepared,” Stephen said. “Our kids are playing great. We’ve won several [games] in a row. We’re having a great year. They’ll be ready today.”

According to Stephen, the teams only disadvantage was playing on Lee’s Summit’s home court.

“That’s just part of the deal,” Stephen said.

Lee’s Summit was able to dominate STA at times with their height, which gave them the advantage in rebounding and blocking. Lee’s Summit also dominated in the number of fouls committed.

The game:

Lee’s Summit takes possession of the ball from the initial toss-up, although the game remains score-less until about halfway through the first quarter. With 5:50 remaining, Lee’s Summit makes the first basket of the game.

About one minute later, junior Becca Lueke scores the first basket for STA with a free-throw.

STA sophomore Lizzie Luallin makes a three-pointer with 2:11 left. The score is 9-1 Lee’s Summit at the end of the first quarter. Lee’s Summit has four fouls, compared to STA’s three fouls.

Lee’s Summit scores the first basket of the second quarter, bringing the score to 11-1 with 6:10 left. Lueke scores with 5:10 left, scoring STA’s second basket.

Seniors Megan Lewis and Megan Lankford each make one free throw near the end of the third quarter. With 2:25 left in the 3rd quarter, the score is 17-5 Lee’s Summit. Lee’s Summit has eight fouls; STA has three.

Junior Maggie Rellihan sinks a three-pointer in the beginning of the third quarter. With 5:50 left, Lewis steals and passes to Lankford, who scores with a layup. Rellihan makes a layup as well with 3:48 left in the quarter, bringing the score to 28-13 Lee’s Summit.

Around the third quarter, as STA garners more points, including several at the free-throw line, the Lee’s Summit fan crowd begins insulting the referees with comments such as, “Weak ref.” and “What game are you watching?”

Lankford is knocked down once and fouled twice toward the end of the third quarter and makes both of her two free-throws. Just before the third-quarter buzzer, Lueke scores a three-pointer bringing the score to 36-18 Lee’s Summit.

Near the beginning of the fourth quarter, Lankford is fouled and again makes both of her free-throws as Lee’s Summit parents continue to yell, “What are you doing ref.? What are you doing?”

With 6:18 left in the fourth quarter, the score is 41-21 Lee’s Summit. Lee’s Summit has five fouls; STA has two.

Lewis and Lanford both score near the end of the game and with 3:10 remaining, the score is 48-25 Lee’s Summit.

Lueke makes a layup with 1:31 remaining in addition to two free-throws with 9.1 seconds left.

The final score of the game is 51-31 Lee’s Summit. Lee’s Summit ends the game with eight fouls to STA’s three.