Power Player: Maggie Rellihan

By Lane Maguire

What: Rellihan was awarded All-Tournament Team at the Penn Valley Tournament.

When: December

Where:  Penn Valley Community College

Why: All-Tournament Team is awarded to players who show a high level of performance. Rellihan was given the award for being the high-scorer on her team for most of the games in the tournament.

How: Rellihan said that she was not initially aware of the recognition.
“My uncle said that he was at the finals of one of the games and they announced it at the end,” Rellihan said.
According to Rellihan, her coach announced her recognition as All-Tournament to the rest of the basketball team before practice the following week.
“It was kind of awkward because the team kind of just sat there,” Rellihan said.
However, Rellihan said her team was happy for her, and she accredits much of her success in the tournament to her team.
“I was kind of shocked that I got [the award],” Rellihan said. “I would have never expected that. I would give a lot of kudos to my team because they are the ones that help me score, and they work just as hard as I do.”

What her teammates say: “MJ really deserved this award,” varsity player Megan Lankford said. “She had a great tournament, and most everything she shot went in. I am pretty sure she was our lead scorer the whole tournament.”
Fellow varsity player and senior Megan Lewis agrees.
“[Maggie] is always working hard to help the team be successful,” Lewis said.