Your period can actually be good sometimes

by Shaeffer Smith

Shark Week. Mother Nature’s Revenge. The Painters Are In. Aunt Flow. Communists in the Funhouse. Little Miss Strawberry. That Time of the Month. Whatever you call it, every girl gets it- the period. Our moms tell us to track our cycle (whatever that means) and keep tampons in our cars and purses. Frankly, getting your period once a month is an unwelcomed pain in the tartan plaid skirt. But, we often overlook the very few things that are really great about our periods.

First, due to the raging hormones in our bodies for that one week, we crave comfort food. What better excuse to eat three Swiss Rolls and a bag of popcorn than “I’m on my period”? There is no better excuse. We can eat ourselves to sleep with a free mind knowing “My body needs this, it’s my time of the month.”

Being on your period, you always feel tired. Usually, this would be a bad thing, but if you could harness this iron deficiency, you could catch up on that much needed sleep. There is no better feeling than laying in your bed and just being able to fall asleep. Mom and Dad say you shouldn’t nap? Tell them “I’m on my period” and they’ll leave you alone.

If you have had your period, you know that your emotional state is close to a psycho breakdown on your worst day. A good laugh and a good cry both cleanse the soul, so there is no shame in breaking down in tears! Everyone needs a good cry here and there, and being on your period is the perfect way to get out all of your emotions. Thank you, Mother Nature for giving us a natural vent session.

Cramps. UGH. The best part about them is that you get to lay in the sick room for a while. Second best part is that since you’re so full of painkillers for them, you feel absolutely invincible! Did your arm hurt? Not anymore. Leg? Forget it! Ibuprofen has your back.

The best part of having your period is bloating! Okay, wait, that didn’t come out right. The best part about having your period is the week after when you’re NOT bloated anymore! The 5 days your water weight stuck around were nerve-racking for you, you were scared you’re getting fat. It happens to us all. But a few days later, you’ll look at yourself in the mirror and admire how slim you are- Hello, ego boost! Once all that water weight is gone, you’re in tip-top-just-the-way-you-were-before-your-period condition!

The whole biological purpose of getting your period once a month is to get your little ovarian eggs movin’ around in your body, letting you know you are physically capable of having babies. This may seem like a total waste of time (and blood) as a teenager, seeing as our priorities are not starting a family, but isn’t it kind of cool to know that you are able to have children? Just think, your body is pretty much telling you “You are a woman and you will one day reproduce beautiful children who will be baby models and on America’s Funniest Home Videos.” It’s quite an honor, really.

We often overlook the beneficial parts about having your period. If you think about all the amazing things you can do while on you’re period, there is no reason to dread it! But, still, there is no denying the best part about your period is being done with it. Until then, have a happy period!

Cartoon by Katie Parkinson