Letter to the Editor: STA’s “Bromance” obsession goes too far

To Whom It May Concern,

Like most STA girls I look forward to the days when I walk into my advisory and there is a stack of The Dart waiting for me. However, as I flipped through November’s issue I came upon an article entitled ‘There might be a reason we make a big deal about our male teachers’¦’ and I was a little embarrassed.

At first I thought it would just be another article listing the various adventures of STA’s fabled ‘bromances’, as I read it though I became increasingly frustrated. Phrases like ‘stalker pics’ and words like ‘attractive’ jumped out at me. I do understand that the article was meant in a joking way and most of it was amusing!

However, what truly angers me is the fact that I witness girls take this joking about our male teachers way too far. These are our teachers! Men who came to this school to teach, not be ogled by teenage girls. I find it extremely disrespectful and unfair for any one of these men to have to be subjected to pointless gossip.

I admit I am not innocent when it comes to discussing the male teachers. These conversations are never centered on their looks and I can proudly say I have never taken part in the picture taking referenced in the article. I believe the key word when it comes to our male teachers is ‘respect’.

Male teachers are put in a precarious position teaching at an all girls school, especially one as relaxed as STA. It’s not uncommon to see a student having a conversation with a teacher that goes beyond just academics. When it comes to male teachers they must go out of their way to balance this casualness with a set of boundaries. They should be applauded for keeping a sense of humor and patience about this particular issue because personally, I would’ve broken long before now.

Just like any other students, my friends and I love joking around with Egner or Whitney, talking music and movies with Fast, Himes or Shrock and chatting with Thomas or Sirridge. However, we all agree that it makes it awkward now to try and initiate a conversation with a male teacher simply because we don’t want it to appear as if we have a crush on them.

If the situation was reversed and students at an all male school put as much energy into discussing and ‘stalking’ their female teachers as much as we do our male teachers it would be considered a far more pressing issue. St. Teresa’s Academy should be a place of equality and feminism, not double standards. All teachers at STA should be treated with dignity, whether they are male or female.

This letter may seem like an overreaction and maybe it is, but my frustrations have simply gotten the best of me. If you want to take anything from this letter at all, let it be to stick to the good natured (and appropriate) joking around and don’t let it evolve to an uncomfortable and disrespectful level. A little respect goes a long way.

Sincerely,
Anonymous